Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you disable the sound when sending tweets from "Click to Tweet" in the Notification Center?

So, ever since the "Click to Tweet" button appeared, anytime you post to Twitter with it, your heard a bird whistling sound. This was cute at first, but has become increasingly annoying (and probably not just to me, but also to my co-workers). Sure, I could mute my speakers prior to sending, but a.) I usually forget, and b.) I shouldn't have to.

In a similar manner, the "Click to Post" to Facebook button makes the "woosh" noise that Mail.app makes when sending an email.

These sounds should be able to be disabled or muted. The only solution I've found online so far is to move/rename/change permissions of the actual sound file itself on the file system. That seems way to extreme.

In summary: am I just missing some obvious setting, or is there really no way to mute/disable these sounds?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:28 AM

5 replies

Dec 5, 2013 6:08 PM in response to echosa

The best way to do this is to leave all files unchanged, but render the file containing that horrendous bird noise unreadable to the system. Open a terminal window, and paste this command:

sudo chmod 000 /System/Library/Frameworks/Social.framework/XPCServices/com.apple.twitter.xpc/C ontents/Resources/TwitterSent.caf

That's it. Your Tweets should hereinafter be silent unless you change TwitterSent.caf's permissions again.

Dec 28, 2013 1:06 AM in response to LsASC

That file[1] does not exist on my Mountain Lion setup:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Social.framework/XPCServices/com.apple.twitter.xpc/Co ntents/Resources/TwitterSent.caf: No such file or directory

however I did find the file here:

/System/Library/SocialServices/Twitter.socialplugin/Contents/Resources/TwitterSe nt.caf

How do you disable the sound when sending tweets from "Click to Tweet" in the Notification Center?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.