Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an 8GB and a 4GB chip in a Macbook Pro?

I inadvertently purchased an 8GB single chip rather than a 4GBx2 kit when ordering memory online. I could return it for a kit, but it got me thinking that I might as well just have 12GB.

I know using this would break dual-channel, but will I actually see performance losses if I don't use dual-channel like it used to back in the P4 days?

Thanks,

wtcnbrwndo4u

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 8:25 AM

Provided it is the proper speed & timing, should work. As you already know, performance will be impacted since the Northbridge memory manager won't be able to parallelize operations (dual channel) and have to do them one at a time in serial fashion. How much will this impact your workflow, you'll find out soon enough.

Start saving for the SECOND 8GB stick so you can put it in, get 16GB altogether, and watch the Mac fly....

..... yes, Virginia, Macs CAN do 16GB in spite what Apple says.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2012 8:25 AM in response to wtcnbrwndo4u

Provided it is the proper speed & timing, should work. As you already know, performance will be impacted since the Northbridge memory manager won't be able to parallelize operations (dual channel) and have to do them one at a time in serial fashion. How much will this impact your workflow, you'll find out soon enough.

Start saving for the SECOND 8GB stick so you can put it in, get 16GB altogether, and watch the Mac fly....

..... yes, Virginia, Macs CAN do 16GB in spite what Apple says.

Can I use an 8GB and a 4GB chip in a Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.