Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Timecapsule doesn't work, too slow. Hours to copy 25MB!!!!

Does anyone here know how to make TC to work properly?
It is simply the worst NAS Storage I've ever met.

I can't copy huge files, even stream video files. Time Machine on Time Capsule? Forget it!

I read before that TC gets slow when it is almost full, but, what is the reason to buy 2Tb of hard disk if you can't use it?

I hope my TC is damaged and Apple should give me another, because I don't believe that Apple is capable to sell such a bad device.

My TC is configured on 802.11 n, with guests network enabled.

I tried even to navigate on my Time Machine Backups to delete some, but even Time Machine works. It take hours to simply show the list of backups, and even then I'm not able to load any of them.

Please, could someone help me?

Att.,

Tanabe

Time Capsule 2Tb-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 7:53 PM

Are you connecting to that Time Capsule wirelessly? If so, a weak wireless connection could explain your problems.

if you hold down an "option" key when you pull down the Wi-Fi menu bar item, what value do you see for "RSSI"?

9 replies

Oct 24, 2012 11:43 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

William Boyd, Jr. wrote:

Are you connecting to that Time Capsule wirelessly? If so, a weak wireless connection could explain your problems.

if you hold down an "option" key when you pull down the Wi-Fi menu bar item, what value do you see for "RSSI"?

William, the value for RSSI is between -74 and -83. (I checked this more than 20 times)

Could this be the problem or it is OK? If OK, what is your next tip?

Oct 25, 2012 8:16 AM in response to tanabe

tanabe wrote:

the value for RSSI is between -74 and -83.

That's a very weak value. This post can give you a way to interpret that value. Presuming a noise level around -90, that gives you a signal-to-noise (SNR) value of between 7 and 16, which would be considered at best a "low signal".

There are several ways to improve the connection to the Time Capsule. If possible, try moving it closer to your Mac or at least try raising it. If you can't do that, consider adding another WiFi device as a way to extend the range. Still another option is a Power-line device.

Oct 25, 2012 9:12 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

My TC is on version 7.6.1 and my OS is on version is 10.7.5 (with supplemental update).

William Boyd, Jr. wrote:

That's a very weak value. This post can give you a way to interpret that value. Presuming a noise level around -90, that gives you a signal-to-noise (SNR) value of between 7 and 16, which would be considered at best a "low signal".

William, that is strange, because I had an Linksys Router on the same place, and its signal and wireless speed was excellent! The router is only 10 feet distant of my Mac.

When I get my Mac and TimeCapsule 10 cm distant, the RSSI value is -43. and the speed is still very slow! I'm trying now to copy one 144Mb file from Mac to TC, and in 15 minutes it copied only 3.6 Mb!

It is not possible that Apple quality for wifi is so poor. I have one Apple TimeCapsule that includes onde internal hard drive that can only be used when connecting ethernet cable..

I don't understand why you said my signal is considered at best a "low signal" and my Mac shows full signal icon.

Follow all information about my connection:

PHY Mode: 802.11n

Channel: 149 (5 Ghz)

Security: WPA2 Personal

RSSI: -38

Transmit Rate: 450

MCS Index: 23

Timecapsule doesn't work, too slow. Hours to copy 25MB!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.