Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan noise being picked up while recording in garageband

For some months I have been using garageband to record my narration of stories. When I played them back they were perfect.

However, today I recorded 2 stories and when I played them back there was a constant huming [the fan] noise in the background.

Would anyone be able to help me please?

My MacBook Pro is 10 months old.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 10:30 AM

8 replies

Sep 30, 2012 4:56 AM in response to ZoeBL

In all honesty, I don't really subscribe to the fact that I need to get an external microphone. This product seems to be superior to lots of others.

I accept that the fan makes a noise but, if I listen to recordings that I made in May this year I can't detect any noise whatsoever.

I am wondering if I've just forgotten to set something in garageband to reduce the noise?

Sep 30, 2012 5:16 AM in response to ZoeBL

Can it be, that you had an Application running in the background, so that your Mac needed much processing power, and the fan was running more noticable than previously?

Let the Mac cool down before you start recording.

The internal Microphone has an option for ambient noise reduction (at least on my system 10.8.2), it is in System Preferences > Sound > Input.

But this option reduces the high frequencies badly; it is more designed for speech than for music.

Regards

Léonie

Sep 30, 2012 6:01 AM in response to léonie

I am not running anything in the background while recording.

My input is ticked for ambient noise reduction although I did notice that the level isn't selected. can you suggest where I indicate on the left or to the right?

I am only using my garageband for narration there is no other noise just my voice.

Sep 30, 2012 6:21 AM in response to ZoeBL

I am not running anything in the background while recording.

If your fans are running at high speed, although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated, you may need to reset the System Management Controller (SMC), see:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

To adjust the recording level for the internal microphon, just speak into the microphone and watcht the indicator lights below the slider. If these lights occasionally go to the right margin, the level is too high and may result in clipping, then move it back to the left.

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Oct 1, 2012 3:50 AM in response to léonie

I've checked my microphone levels as above.

With regard to SMC this would appear to mean turning off the Mac after closing everything and disconnecting it from power. I can't see that there is anything more to do for SMC.

Having done this I still have a problem. As I'm typing now I can't necessarily hear the fan but when I play back the recording I can.

Fan noise being picked up while recording in garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.