Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't understand Match

I have a 16gb iPhone 4, iOS 5. I have 7gb of music on the phone. I need to free up space on the phone so I can download iOS6.

I want to enable iTunes Match, but every time I start to do it, it says iTunes Match will replace the music library on my device. It's taken me years to collect the music that I have, much of which comes from my personal CD collection and not necessarily music found on iTunes.

What I want to know is, if I enable Match, will it wipe out my music collection completely? How will I access my music with Match? Do I have to be hooked to my computer to access the music? I know I will need additional storage space in the cloud (which I can pay for) but I just need to know if I will be able to find my my music and playlists when I want to. And will having Match allow me to sync all the music to my Mac Airbook? (my iTunes collection is hooked up to my work computer, something I really want to eliminate.)

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:06 AM

Wow! Many questions, here are a few answers:

Q: If I enable Match, will it wipe out my music collection completely?

A: You need to ensure that all of your Songs are on a host computer with iTunes, complete with secure back-up before you start. If needed, there are many 3rd party tools that will allow transfer from the iPhone to the computer. Once Match is enabled on the computer it will not remove any of your collection. (See 'Journey so far' in the User Tips for the iTunes Match forum.

Q: How will I access my music with Match? Do I have to be hooked to my computer to access the music?

A: iTunes Match works with IOS 5 & 6 allowing direct access both from your computers and iDevices. You simply choose what you wish to play and it will work, either from the Song already present or by retrieving it from the iCloud.

Q: I know I will need additional storage space in the cloud (which I can pay for) but I just need to know if I will be able to find my my music and playlists when I want to.

A: You will be able to, additional storage is typically not required - the limit is number of Songs at 25k.

Q: And will having Match allow me to sync all the music to my Mac Airbook? (my iTunes collection is hooked up to my work computer, something I really want to eliminate.)

A: Yes! In fact, from your description would suggest you start by building a new library on your own computer and establishing secure backup. Using corporate machines is unlikely to work given the probable network security that your organisation should have in place - would not recommend using iTunes Match from a Corporate network.

Hope these help ...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2012 11:06 AM in response to donnad369

Wow! Many questions, here are a few answers:

Q: If I enable Match, will it wipe out my music collection completely?

A: You need to ensure that all of your Songs are on a host computer with iTunes, complete with secure back-up before you start. If needed, there are many 3rd party tools that will allow transfer from the iPhone to the computer. Once Match is enabled on the computer it will not remove any of your collection. (See 'Journey so far' in the User Tips for the iTunes Match forum.

Q: How will I access my music with Match? Do I have to be hooked to my computer to access the music?

A: iTunes Match works with IOS 5 & 6 allowing direct access both from your computers and iDevices. You simply choose what you wish to play and it will work, either from the Song already present or by retrieving it from the iCloud.

Q: I know I will need additional storage space in the cloud (which I can pay for) but I just need to know if I will be able to find my my music and playlists when I want to.

A: You will be able to, additional storage is typically not required - the limit is number of Songs at 25k.

Q: And will having Match allow me to sync all the music to my Mac Airbook? (my iTunes collection is hooked up to my work computer, something I really want to eliminate.)

A: Yes! In fact, from your description would suggest you start by building a new library on your own computer and establishing secure backup. Using corporate machines is unlikely to work given the probable network security that your organisation should have in place - would not recommend using iTunes Match from a Corporate network.

Hope these help ...

I don't understand Match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.