Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find a forgotten airport express base station in Airport utility.

I tried to add my airport express to my home network. I inadvertently clicked on "forget this base station" in airport utility. I cannot seem to get it back in airport utility. How do I find it again?

AirPort Express 802.11N (2nd generation), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:27 AM

8 replies

Sep 28, 2012 11:37 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Hi Philly_Phan

I have done the full factory reset on the device several times. The problem is that on my iMac, when I clicked "forget this base station", the Mac has somehow listed this particular base station on a 'forget list'. I need to get it to take it off. The Airport Express itself is fine. Neither my iMac nor my iPad (nor iPhone for that matter) Airport Utility app will talk to it. It's somehow on a 'bar list' from which I want to remove it. None of my devices are showing that it's even in the house, when it's sat on the same table as my Mac and iPad.

If I were to bring a new one into the house, it'd see it and I could configure it - they're being told, due to my decision to click 'forget', not to look at it.

How do I remove it from the 'forget' list?

Thanks anyway!

Dec 25, 2012 2:39 PM in response to kgeoffrey81

Hi,

This reply is for anyone who got this far but couldn't get further, becuase their setup was similiar and the above didn't work.

I have an Airport Extreme which I wanted to extend with a new Airport Express (2G). I first connected with a network lead and then decided I wanted to extend wirelessly so I could use the lead for my Samsung Smart TV - for Netflix. I clicked "forget" and then couldn't see the Airport Express to reconfigure it to extend my network wirelessly. Resetting the Airport Express is fine but it still doesn't appear in AirPort Utility.

You must switch ON Wi-Fi in System Prefs, Network. I didn't have it switched on because my Mac Mini is connected to the Airport Extreme with a network cable. The newly reset to Factory settings Airport is now available in AirPort Utility to select under the "Other AirPort Base Stations" button. Be careful of the default setting during setup. You do not want to use the AirPort Express instead of the AirPort Extreme (which sets the Extreme back to Default settings)

Connecting a New AirPort Express to a wired AirPort Extreme by first switching on Wi-Fi (which I wasn't using) was not intuitive. Remember to switch ON the Wi-Fi then switch it OFF after setup if you don't need it. And honestly one less thing in my living room broadcasting radio waves everywhere has got to be a good thing.

How do I find a forgotten airport express base station in Airport utility.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.