Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to burn a m4v movie to a DVD and have it play on a TV

I created an m4v movie from a slideshow that I put together on iPhoto. I then burned it to a 4.7GB DVD disc by simply right-clicking the file and entering "Burn (name of file) to disc." The problem is the DVD will not play on my televsion. It will play on my iMac, but not on my DVD player. I get the message "incorrect disc." I've used this procedure with several other m4v movies I created from slideshows, and all of these play on my TV. The only difference is that these DVDs were 700MB. Is the size difference in the DVD causing the problem? And, if so, how do I fix it without having to purchase some pricey software?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 10:49 AM

12 replies

Sep 29, 2012 8:17 AM in response to BDAqua

I don't think the problem is that I have a "data" DVD rather than a "movie" DVD, because it is the same brand and type as the discs I used previously and all of them work on my DVD player. The only difference is the capacity of the disc. I also tried the links you provided but did not have any sucess, but thanks for the input.

Sep 29, 2012 8:36 AM in response to Calcharmac

You burnt a file to a blank DVD and it's not readable because you didn't use the correct software to do it. That end result is a data DVD rather than a movie DVD.

You need a burn software to correctly author and burn the video to a disk which will be playable in any DVD player. And, if your Mac doesn't already have iDVD, you will need to get some - either free or pay for it.

Best one is iDVD, only available as part of the retail 11 iLife suite disk (online resellers), then there is Roxio Toast ($$$), and then there are free/other softwares such as Burn or google for them. ("burn software for mac")

Sep 29, 2012 2:02 PM in response to babowa

Somehow the method I used in making DVDs -- that is, exporting my slideshow in iPhoto into an m4v movie and then simply right-clicking "burn to a DVD disc" -- worked beautifully before. As I explained in my orignial post, the only difference this time was the capacity of the DVD I used because the slideshow was about five minutes longer. I didn't need any software when making my DVDs before -- even though I do have iDVD on my Mac. Frankly, I think iDVD is not as easy to use as iPhoto for developing a slideshow. So I'm still wondering what could be the reason it didn't work this time around.

Sep 29, 2012 3:01 PM in response to Calcharmac

Well, I'm on Mountain Lion and do not remember what the settings/choices were in Snow Leopard; my iPhoto version is 9.4 ("iPhoto 11") and here is what I found in the iPhoto Help - it is quite clear that their instructions say to burn directly for photos, but you have to export it if it's a slideshow:

User uploaded file

(Note the "make sure nou're not attempting to burn a slide show")

User uploaded file

I don't know what verson of Mac OS or iPhoto for that matter you are on - details are important, but this is the info regarding the latest version of both.

And, I'm not aware of previously having been able to burn a video directly from iPhoto; iPhoto does not author the footage which is what you need to play it anywhere but the Mac you created it on.

Sep 29, 2012 5:16 PM in response to babowa

I'm on a Mac OS X, version 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and using iPhoto version 9.2.3. Some of the information you provided is similar to my Help section for iPhoto. I've followed all of their instructions, and why everything worked for me previously and not now is just driving me to distraction. I'm going to play around with iDVD and see if that will be the answer.

Sep 29, 2012 5:53 PM in response to Calcharmac

I prefer using iMovie for video clips and Photo to Movie for slideshows (in my humble opinion far superior to anything Mac provides for slideshows, but it is not free) and, after assembling, editing, adding transitions, titles, etc., I export them in a Quicktime format and drop them into iDVD (after customizing the menus/themes). I burn the DVD from there - these are the settings I use in iDVD (my video clips are full HD/widescreen and I assemble the slideshows to match that):

User uploaded file

And these are my settings under iMovie > Share > Export to Quicktime (under Options - either 720p or 1080p):

User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2012 4:42 PM in response to babowa

Well,I managed to put my m4v movie into iDVD and then burned it to a DVD disc. Lo and behold, it worked -- except for one thing. The quality of the sound is dreadful. All of the music for the slideshow was imported from iTunes and it has always played beautifully on my computer. It's only when I put the DVD into the DVD player to play on my television that the sound becomes distorted. Has anyone else out there experienced this,too?

Oct 5, 2012 4:19 AM in response to babowa

No, I haven't ever tried iMovie, but I will. It took me a long time to get the music to sync with the photos and to end on precisely the right note in iPhoto, so I can imagine what the procedure will be in using a completely unfamiliar piece of software. I'm willing to give it a shot though. Thanks for all your advice. I did use the settings you suggested for sound, though I'm afraid it didn't work in iDVD.

Oct 5, 2012 8:33 AM in response to Calcharmac

If you have any kind of sound software (Garageband?) - I use Sound Studio (not free) - you can import your song and tailor it to your slideshow with fade-in, out, etc. I sometimes choose an excerpt from the middle of a piece of music if I need a short piece of music for my iDVD menu and that part is perfect for a 30 second loop. So, if you have the software, assemble your slideshow, note the exact length, and then adjust/fix the music and add it.

If you're going to do a lot of slideshows, check out the software I use: Photo to Movie; it does well with zoom effects, outputs excellent quality, and you can export it in a variety of ways (same dialog window I showed previously). It is also easier (I think) than iMovie - just export your finished video to your desktop and then drag it into iDVD ("add movie"). And no, that window does not show up in iDVD - I use it before the clips go to iDVD, so they're already how I want them qualitywise.

http://www.lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.php

Oct 5, 2012 9:22 AM in response to Calcharmac

The only difference is that these DVDs were 700MB.

No such DVD. All single-layer DVDs are 4.7GB.

You are using CDs by mistake - they are all 700MB.

You cannot make a playable video DVD on a CD.

There are many ways to produce slide shows using iPhoto, iMovie or iDVD and some limit the number of photos you can use (iDVD has a 99 chapter (slide) limitation).

If what you want is what I want, namely to be able to use high resolution photos (even 300 dpi tiff files), to pan and zoom individual photos, use a variety of transitions, to add and edit music or commentary, place text exactly where you want it, and to end up with a DVD that looks good on both your Mac and a TV - in other words end up with and end result that does not look like an old fashioned slide show from a projector - you may be interested in how I do it. You don't have to do it my way, but the following may be food for thought!

Firstly you need proper software to assemble the photos, decide on the duration of each, the transitions you want to use, and how to pan and zoom individual photos where required, and add proper titles. For this I use Photo to Movie. You can read about what it can do on their website:

http://www.lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.php

(Other users here use the alternative FotoMagico: http://www.boinx.com/fotomagico/homevspro/ which you may prefer - I have no experience with it.)

Neither of these are freeware, but are worth the investment if you are going to do a lot of slide shows. Read about them in detail, then decide which one you feel is best suited to your needs.

Once you have timed and arranged and manipulated the photos to your liking in Photo to Movie, it exports the file to iMovie as a DV stream. You can add music in Photo to Movie, but I prefer doing this in iMovie where it is easier to edit. You can now further edit the slide show in iMovie just as you would a movie, including adding other video clips, then send it to iDVD 7, or Toast, for burning.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how professional the results can be!

To simply create a slide show in iDVD 7 onwards from images in iPhoto or stored in other places on your hard disk or a connected server, look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1089

How to burn a m4v movie to a DVD and have it play on a TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.