Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac - I want Snow Leopard instead of Mountain Lion

Hi

Just got a replacement iMac (my old one couldn't be repaired).

The old one was a 27" 2010 Model which came and was always used with Snow Leopard. I never had a problem and I'm still happy with all my apps which are working fine. I have a Time Machine backup of this perfectly working solution.

The new one is a 27" 2011 Model which arrived now with Mountain Lion installed (without installation discs!). I intend to use Mountain Lion later BUT NOT NOW. I want to restore my Time Machine backup and continue to work under Snow Leo. I don't want to lose time with upgrade issues at the moment.

I've just turned the new iMac on. My FireWire Time Machine drive is not connected yet.

I read the question: "How do you want to transfer your information?" What shall I do now?

Connect my TM drive first?

Or select "From Another Disk" and "Continue"?

Will I then be prompted to connect my TM drive?

Later (maybe around Christmas) when I will be ready to upgrade, will it be possible to access "my Mountain Lion" (which was included with the iMac)? Will it always be available on that "internal Recovery Partion"? Or from Mac App Store?

Many thanks!

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:13 AM

5 replies

Sep 28, 2012 4:26 PM in response to coxorange

Unless you have a bootable backup of your previous installation, all I can suggest is to boot with the SL install disc and attempt to install onto an ext FWHD (USB, if you have no other options) and see if the new machine will boot with it. There are many postings elsewhere implying that Apple's not updated the firmware, so all current iMacs should boot with SL, despite what the linked document that CMCSK posted states.

If it won't, then contact Apple and insist on one that will boot w/Snow Leopard, since that's what you had, despite what Apple's trying to foist on its users.

Oct 5, 2012 2:45 PM in response to baltwo

WZZZ wrote:

FYI: OP is a duplicate

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4364620?answerId=19807098022#19807098022

baltwo wrote:

Thanks. Missed that.

Yes, because my question wasn't answered, I thought it was the wrong place for asking. So I tried it here.

Booting from SL wasn't possible - it hung at the apple on white background screen!

OS X Recovery didn't accept the Snow Leopard Time Machine backup for restoring.

I'm afraid the only option is Migration Assistant...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.