Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: turning off software updates

I don't want to update, nor do I want to be bugged every few days, about software updates on trial software and old software that I don't even use anymore. Surely Apple provide a way to select which apps to check for updates? Even now, I'm waiting on the App Store to finish checking for updates so I can reboot.

This is the worst operating system since Windows Vista. Unfortunately, I have to use it for one feature, AVCHD video playback.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Sep 29, 2012 11:21 PM in response to Will Salley1 In response to Will Salley1

Launch the application and go to Preferences. Depending on the particular application, there will be an option to get automatic updates - or not. You will need to check where that option is - it differs from one third party app to another. I turn mine off as soon as I install and launch them for the first time. The default on all appears to be on.

Sep 29, 2012 11:21 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 29, 2012 11:54 PM in response to Will Salley1 In response to Will Salley1

Each time you launch the App Store, the system will check for available updates - of course. I wonder what's to dislike about it, but if you're opposed to it, just don't use the App Store anymore. And if you do use it, go ahead and ignore the badge on "Updates". At the very least, look at them but don't download them. Good luck...

Sep 29, 2012 11:54 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Will Salley1

Question: turning off software updates