Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable iMessages from archiving messages and attachments?

I noticed while browsing ~/Library\Messages/ that iMessages has been archiving my messages (Archive folder) and saving attachments (in a separate Attachment folder). Under the settings for iMessages on OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, I don't see any options to disable this. The only thing close to that is already unchecked: Save history when conversations are closed.

Any ideas why iMessages is saving all this information? How do I disable it? My concern is that it's going to keep accumulating data overtime. I don't want to keep having to go back in there and delete those two folders constantly.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMessages

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 5:45 PM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2013 1:52 PM in response to LOLuMad

Hi,

This somewhat date back to the way iChat's Saved Chats were once Stored.

At iChat 5 (in Snow Leopard) you could choose to see the last chat - (when opening an new chat with a person you had chatted with before) or parts of the Last Chat in terms of the Last so many IMs.

Example Pic of iChat 5's Prefs

User uploaded file

Since then the management choices of the Save Chats has changed in both iChat 6 and Messages.

Messages stores Chats two ways if they are iMessages.

You can elect to Save them in Messages > Preferences > Messages.

It also store the chat.db and other databases items which includes the Attachment items

The chat.db is the bit that fill in the "history" if you iMessage the same person even if you are not saving the Chat in a formal sense in the App's Preferences.

This is irrespective if your delete the Conversation from the Messages main window.

How big these Databases get obviously depends on your iMessages usage.

Striker's link seems to be about a similar issue on an iPhone (I presume it transfers to other iOS devices) but I am not sure that it is relevant in this situation.

Edit.

I should have been clear that you cannot change the database behaviour.

User uploaded file
9:49 pm Sunday; October 6, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

How can I disable iMessages from archiving messages and attachments?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.