Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win7 won't install on a 2010 MacMini SL w/no optical drive, crashes when accessing external HD

I've been trying to install win7 on my Mac Mini with 10.6.8 that doesn't have an optical drive. I've been able to do the bootcamp partition just fine but when it goes to restart into the windows partition with the win7 disk in the external HD, my screen goes grey, then a green with purple border and then black. I have to reboot and if I press the alt/opt key, I'm able to get into OSX again. The research I've done shows I need to create a .iso file which I did with disk utility. I created all types of .iso files, read only, compressed and dvd.cdr files. Nothing is working. Bootcamp is not recognizing any of the 5 thumb drives I've put the .iso files on as I read some drives aren't able to be recognized. The external HD works as I reinstalled SL just fine using it. My research also shows that win7 won't install from an external HD. So I'm at a a loss as to how to proceed from here. I went into my old windows machine to try to create a bootable thumb drive after I install win7 there but the Dell is so old, I don't have a DVD drive in it, only a CD drive. And if I buy a downloadable version of win7 I still need to get it to a DVD or a thumb drive to get it installed.

Does anyone have any ideas? I called Apple and their support ended at "well, we did our job by getting you to the BootCamp partition" which is a crock. It's their design to take out the optical drive and now it's everyone else's problem! Sorry, I know I've got attitude but I'm so frustrated!!

Thanks in advance! I'm posting this here and in mac mini discussion.

Mac mini Server (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 10:40 PM

Hatter helped me out without even knowing he helped me out. In cruising through the archives, he advised another problem seeker to unplug everything except 1 monitor, a mouse and a keyboard. Which I did and that solved my problems at last. I also burned my .iso file to a DVD with my MBP and it was able to be read by the external HD. So keep searching the forums peeps, your answer may be there after all! 🙂

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2012 10:40 PM in response to lilybaileymom

Hatter helped me out without even knowing he helped me out. In cruising through the archives, he advised another problem seeker to unplug everything except 1 monitor, a mouse and a keyboard. Which I did and that solved my problems at last. I also burned my .iso file to a DVD with my MBP and it was able to be read by the external HD. So keep searching the forums peeps, your answer may be there after all! 🙂

Win7 won't install on a 2010 MacMini SL w/no optical drive, crashes when accessing external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.