Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Display" Settings Page is Blank

For some reason, whenever I go to "Display" under settings its showing a blank window for me. I haven't noticed this till recently, perhaps it happened after I upgraded to 10.8.2.

Anyone have any ideas on fixing it, without reinstalling the OS?

http://i46.tinypic.com/25gdvmu.png

Retina Macbook Pro

Message was edited by: shadow82x

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:50 PM

9 replies

Sep 29, 2012 12:02 AM in response to mende1

Thanks for the reply unfortunately that didnt work.

Just downloaded, installed, restarted, and the display setting panel is still blank.

I edited my original post to reflect this is a macbook pro retina.

Sep 29, 2012 12:24 AM in response to mende1

mende1 wrote:

Open System Preferences > Users and Groups and create an user. Then, log in with the new user and see if the problem keeps

Show's it as being blank on the second account too.

Sep 29, 2012 7:22 PM in response to Community User

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login. Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode* and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

1. Shut down your computer, wait 30 seconds, and then hold down the shift key while pressing the power button.
  2. When you see the gray Apple logo, release the shift key.
  3. If you are prompted to log in, type your password, and then hold down the shift key again as you click Log in.

*Note: If FileVault is enabled under OS X 10.7 or later, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Sep 29, 2012 7:59 PM in response to Community User

Unfortunately I did reinstall my operating system. On a positive note, it seemed to have a better impact on better life. I don't know why I didn't think of testing it in safe mode before, but I think for whatever reason I had corrupt system files.

"Display" Settings Page is Blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.