Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix

I have an ipod touch 2nd gen running ios 4.2.1

I had the netflix app running on it before i updated all my apps from itunes.

Not realizing the compatibility issue, i already downloaded the latest version.

When i was syncing songs and apps to my ipod, the netfix app says i need ios 5 which my ipod cant support.

Now, the app is gone from my ipod.

Can anyone upload a previous version to a file sharing site so i can download it?

Its a free app anyways.

Help would be greately appreciated.

iPod touch (2nd generation), iOS 4.2

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:36 PM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2013 6:59 PM in response to mschang1991

In the same situation. Accidentally deleted the previous application from my 32 GB iPod on iOS 4.2.1. The iPod is up-to-date with upgrades. After a 30+ minute conversation with Netflix (see below)... Netflix NO LONGER offers the previous version and the newer version requires iOS5! Netflix does not seem to care that there are customer's who can utilize the app, if they simply make it available again. It's as simple as re-uploading it to their site. Netflix is alienating every user who doesn't upgrade their device.

NETFLIX OFFICIAL (UNACCEPTABLE) RESPONSE

Thank you for waiting! Unfortunately there is no way to get that older version for you, since are current apps can only run with the 5.0 version. At this time we only have the newer one available. I definitely understand this can be frustrating, we will let our research team know that you would like to have the option to use that later version of our app.

Can I get a credit for my Netflix service for not being able to utilize it as my contract states?

Unfortunately I cannot issue you a credit.

Is there a formal process to file an official complaint about this matter, about not having the application available to consumers and therefore limiting my membership?

We can email you when the app becomes available for you.

Any idea when this may happen? I see the complaints have been happening since October 2012 (over 5 months ago). This is an unacceptable wait time.

Ah, unfortunately I do not have a time frame available to you.

Ok. I understand that this is out of your hands, but this is horrible customer service from Netflix. Most all software companies share the older application versions so users may continue to utilize the services that they are paying for...the app works just fine and takes up virtually no space to leave it on the Netflix site for users to download. Of course, we would all love to have the latest and greatest software, but unfortunately device limitation doesn't always allow this. Netflix is discriminating, based on consumer's income and the age of their Apple device.

Hopefully this note for the content team can get them to make the older version available to you asap.

Jan 29, 2014 1:02 PM in response to DesigningApple

It's not just Netflix. Apple has also made a decision not to host the older version in the app store, which in fact they were doing until fairly recently.

I also have a 2nd gen iPod touch, and was able to install and reinstall the compatible version pretty much at will until yesterday, when I discovered that I no longer had the option to opt for the older version. The decision not to support older devices which are still within their useful life is pretty much par for the course with Apple, as the orphaning of the PPC chipset has more than adequately shown us.

This is the last Apple product I will ever buy unless they show a significant change in their corporate attitude toward the customer. They make very nice, durable hardware, but fail to give it support through its useful life, because they think that will pressure people into upgrading devices which are still working. In my case that may well be true, but I won't be upgrading to an Apple product. Fool me once ...

Netflix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.