Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove "not supported on this architecture"?

I have a PowerPC Mac. I understand how big that is to incompatibility, but I'm pretty angry at this point. I spent a lot of money on this computer and I'm too poor to get a new one. Is there a way to just force my Mac to try to run Intel based programs? I don't care what it does to my computer, there just has to be a way to at least try.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 12:11 AM

5 replies

Sep 29, 2012 12:19 AM in response to mende1

There must be a way. I didn't expect Apple to drop support for an entire line of computers. Should I expect this in the future? If I buy an Intel based Mac, could I reliably expect them to drop support for my computer for no reason?

Or is there a way to force a PowerPC mac to at least attempt to open Intel-based apps? Because right now it seems like my purchase is being held hostage.

Sep 29, 2012 12:33 AM in response to mende1

Perfect.

I'll be getting rid of this piece of **** sooner rather than later then. If Apple's gonna stop caring about it, so will I. With this, the iPhone 5 backlash and the 'Maps' incident, can't wait to see Apple's other new, revolutionary contributions to selfish, closed-source computing for inclusive hipsters pretending to be entrepaneurs because they signed a petition against the Samsung Galaxy. At least I can mod a PC.

Sep 29, 2012 11:19 AM in response to MrFistSalad

Your Mac will continue to run the versions of OS X and software that were written for your Mac; and many of them still exist.

Your frustration and anger about your 7 year old PowerPC Mac not being abile to run Intel based applications is misplaced.

I cannot put a 387 hemi engine in a Model-T Ford: sorry; just can't be done.

If there are Intel apps that you need to run, applications that were not analogous to PowerPC apps that will run on your Mac, then you need to look for a used Intel Mac or a charitable donation.

If that does not work for you, apply for a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation 🙂

How to remove "not supported on this architecture"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.