Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New to Apple and have just spent the past 2 hours trying to view my RAW collection in the hope of deleting poor images.

(...and then I see this machine doesn't let me type a proper sentence)

Now, my RAW files are not viewable as images in the Finder so I have imported them into the Aperture library where they are all viewable.

Unfortunately deleting the poor images only deletes the versions from Aperture, not the Original RAW files (also called Masters by Apple, I think).

I have read several tips, help resources and User Manuals and they all say I should be able to delete originals in conjunction with versions via Aperture.

The 1st suggested selecting the image, then going to File>Delete original and versions, then empying Aperture Trash, then Finder Trash. This was Unsuccessful.

The 2nd suggested selecting an image, going to View>View Original Master, then deleting the file and emptying the 2 Trash cans. Also Unsuccessful.

I'm not sure whether I have Referenced files as I have not done anything further than load them from external to Finder, to Aperture.

If someone has a "3rd time lucky" idea I'd be delighted to hear it, otherwise I'll have to head back to PC to view and delete before I head back with the trimmed database.

Cheers.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), iOS 6

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 3:25 AM

10 replies

Sep 29, 2012 4:17 AM in response to Go-ezi

Exactly how did you you import the RAW files into Aperture?

The behavior you're seeing is consistent with creating copies of your RAW files on import.

Also: afaik Aperture shares the OS X RAW converter database -- if you can see Images of RAW files in Aperture, you should be able to see them in Finder and in Quick View. What camera made these RAW files?

Added:

Who suggested this:

Go-ezi wrote:

The 2nd suggested selecting an image, going to View>View Original Master, then deleting the file and emptying the 2 Trash cans.

They do not know what they are talking about. 😐 .

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Sep 29, 2012 4:34 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

I opened iPhoto and imported individual folders (labelled by year) containing the RAW files (Pentax) directly, this being a shared Library they are then accessed by Aperture. The version deletion system works as expected, it's just the Originals are still in Finder and able to be opened no matter which of the methods I've tried.

The 2nd suggestion is out of the Aperture User Guide.

In relation to OS Finder viewing the RAW files, I have been able to view each file individually as a preview (and delete) but obviously I'd prefer a more useful size of image to review. It is progress from not seeing the thumbnails however.

Sep 29, 2012 5:07 AM in response to Go-ezi

After you delete the images in Aperture are they still visible in Aperture? Sounds like the files you are seeing in the finder are copies of the files you imported. This is possible if on import you told Aperture to make a copy of the file rather then moving it into the Aperture library.

But given your description it is hard to tell just what you have done. Perhaps a more detailed and clearer explanation might help to figure out what is going on.

BTW given your post to the other thread, if the checkbox to also delete the originals does not appear when you empty the Aperture trash then that means the images your are deleting are not referenced and adds to the evidence that you copied the originals into the Aperture library. When you say you can see the originals in the Finder what is the path of the files?

regards

Sep 29, 2012 5:16 AM in response to Go-ezi

One of the things you'll have to get used to, is that Aperture is an Image manager and not a file browser.

You need to know whether the Originals of the Images you see in the Aperture Browser are Referenced or Managed.

If you have Badges showing as part of your Browser Metadata Overlays (they show by default, so they'll be there unless you turned them off or are not showing any Overlay), a small icon showing a page with a superimposed curved arrow at the bottom right of your Images indicates that the Original of the Image is Referenced. Do you see this Badge?

You can also see which of your Images have Referenced Originals by going to Photos view (click "Photos" on the Library tab of the Inspector) and filtering that container's contents using the Rule "File Status" set to "Referenced".

Finder is a reasonably good image file manager. What do you mean by "preview" when you say " I have been able to view each file individually as a preview"? Quick View should show you the images as large as you can make the window. Finder's Icon View should have a size slider you can use to make the icons (= the images) usefully large.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Sep 29, 2012 8:57 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

OP may be referring to the 'File > Show In Finder' command for referenced images.

There is reference to that command in middle of linked page below under 'To locate an image's master in Finder':

http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter=5%26sec tion=16%26tasks=true

OP mentions importing into iPhoto first and then working with the library using Aperture. Since I don't really use iPhoto much, I will leave this as a note to those more versed with the iPhoto program and it's interaction with Aperture using the new unified library system. 😉

Sep 29, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Good morning, thanks all for your overnight posts. I have read everything you've said and reviewed the link provided to the Usermanual. I am now a little confused by Apple not defining what they call Photos, Images, Masters and Originals. I will assume all these are the same thing. :-/

In relation to the checkbox, there is no sign of it so I believe the "Masters" are in fact an imported copy that may have been created by Aperture when it opened or by iPhoto when I pressed the IMPORT button to fill the library. I have not been able to find the file location of the image after opening it in Aperture and of course Finder takes me straight to the main file folder of my HDD.

Also, there are no "badges" on any of the images as they appear on Aperture, either thumbnail view or image view.

I have decided not to waste any more time with this and will delete everything from the Shared Library of iPhoto/Aperture, delete all my image files from the HDD and go back to my PC where I can delete with a single keystroke and batch rename easily at the same time. Once I have my collections properly managed I will reload this machine and try to work out the import to Aperture library without touching iPhoto. By then I may also have digested a large chunk of the usermanual, or at least exhausted the 86 days remaining of my Apple support.

Thanks again for your efforts as I plunge from the darkroom where I call myself a "Photographer" into a more fearsome dark as an "Editor" whose only experience was thanks to Picasa.

Happy snapping!

Sep 29, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Go-ezi

Start here. Power comes at a cost. The first 8 hours are the hardest. If your intent is to learn Aperture, your current task is a simple one and a good one to start with.

Of course you should create a "play-pen" Library and fill it will a couple hundred waste-able JPGs. Use this to test everything you think you understand.

Ask more questions -- we have many skilled Aperturists contributing.

New to Apple and have just spent the past 2 hours trying to view my RAW collection in the hope of deleting poor images.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.