Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save a photo from Messages to Mac.

Hello all!

Simple question:

How do I save a picture from Messages to my Mac? When in full screen mode the only option I see is add to iPhoto. However I have set up a specific folder on my Mac (Messages>preferences>Save Receive Files to...) to save Messages files. However I have no idea how to download the pictures (or video but I haven't tried yet) to that foder.

When I right click the pictures, the only options I see are "Quick Look, Open, Copy". If I click on quick look, the only options available when clicking the "share" arow are Mail, AirDrop, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr.

There is a menu in "Window" called File Transfer where you can see the files you have downloaded to your computer. However, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DOWNLOAD THEM 😟

Please if you could help me I would be very grateful.

Thank you!!!

Messages-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 6:13 AM

7 replies

Sep 29, 2012 8:40 AM in response to sig

Hi Sig,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, copying the pictures did not resolve my issue. It does copy it because when I paste it to another message the picture is there, but when I check if it is on the folder I have created, it is not. Same if I change back the location to the download folder... Copying does not download it.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2012 1:54 PM in response to J.Ndr

Hi,

In iChat Pics could be dragged to the Desktop (Or potentially any window you had open)

In really early version the pic shows in the Saved Chat (Normally in ~/Documents/iChats)

In later version these could be scaled the same way a chat could be scaled when Live (Drag it bigger to see the pic as large as it would go or as large as you could get the chat window.)

You can also drag them to other apps like Photoshop Elements or Preview.

If you are saving Chats on closing conversations/Chats then files are kept in

~/Library/Messages/Attachments

To Access this you need the Finder as front app > Go Menu > Hold ALT Key > Select Library in Menu list

Open Messages > Open Attachments folder.

User uploaded file
9:54 PM Sunday; September 30, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jun 19, 2013 11:35 AM in response to AMCarter3

HI,

You can also drag them to other apps like Photoshop Elements or Preview

There is no other setting within the app to direct the Photos or pic files to anywhare specfic.

User uploaded file
7:35 PM Wednesday; June 19, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Save a photo from Messages to Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.