Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDuper question...

Hi guys

You've all been very helpful in my last post! thanks!

So, here I am... I downloaded and installed the free version of SuperDuper... less features... no scheluded back ups... no problem, I really fancied it! GREAT!

I am here writing some scripts, on how to exclude some folders from OS back up... I save my work files on a different external HD, as I am always changing them, and there's no reason to be updating my system everytime I have to work on a file.

I only want to be safe whenever Apple releases a new system update... no need to be backing up my OS all the time.

And as I said on my last post, I am using my Mac mini HD as a bootable HD for my iMac... this way I want to create a partition that saves only the OS files with all my design and animation Apps. And I'd take care of my files on another HD.

My question now!!!!

Ok, if I back up my entire system, excluding, let's say, the Pictures folder and one day I have a problem and I need to boot and clone my iMac back ... would I keep the Pictures folder I have now untouched ( considering I excluded it from being copied before ) and just restore the files that are on the iMac clone?... or will it wipe off my iMac completely and bring back a blank Pictures folder... ?

Am I being clear? : )

Cheers guys

17" iMac G5 - 2GHz - rev.B - 2GB Ram - 1.42 Mac mini - BT and AP - 512MB Ram, Mac OS X (10.4.4), Wireless Mouse and KB - 30GB iPod video and 512MB Shuffle

Posted on Apr 9, 2006 12:13 AM

3 replies

Apr 9, 2006 5:50 AM in response to Nando RJ

Hi Nando,
I think I understand your question, and my answer would be that if you were to clone your mini back to your main drive, everything that is on the mini would replace everything on your drive - and wipe anything that was not cloned. Therefore, your pictures folder, if empty on the clone, would be empty when you restored. Using the clone to restore wipes the main drive.
If you want to see what would happen, boot from your clone and check out what's on it. If you find that there are things you absolutely need, add them to the mini clone so that when you need them, they will be there to restore to your main drive.
Hope this helps,
Miriam

Rev A 20" iMac G5, 15"iMac G4, 15"iMac G3 DVD Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Apr 9, 2006 7:24 AM in response to MGW

Miriam

Thanks! That's it!

I will have a clone of my iMac on a mini's partition... only the essential, this way it doesn't take so much space on the mini. It will be a bootable OS and App. copy.

And I can continue having my work, pictures and animation saved and changed on a different external... that can be accessed by both the iMac and mini through my home network...

Great!

Thank you all!

SuperDuper question...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.