Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple battery charger flashes orange

Not sure where to post this but as I use the batteries for my Trackpad and Mouse I will ask here,

I have an Apple Battery Charger and Apple supplied batteries, I charged them up only about 2 times in total and now when I put the batteries in the charger it flashes orange no matter what, surely the batteries can't be faulty they are advertised to last up to 10 years of been recharged over and over? Can't get any to charge just constant orange flash :\

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 8:17 AM

I fixed mine just cleaning the contacts... : )

38 replies

Mar 3, 2013 6:43 AM in response to mattysouthall

I've got the same problem as well! 9 out of 10 times the light flashes orange. It is very annoying. But I have figured out a workaround recently. The work around I have is first plug the charger into the wall socket and then place the batteries into their slots. Then I quickly use my finger(s) and fit between the gap between the two batteries and wiggle a little so the batteries will move slightly outward and a little bit more apart from each other. Then the light will stays orange. I am hoping for a recall one day as I cannot find my receipt for a refund 😟

Jan 16, 2015 5:21 PM in response to mattysouthall

Many battery chargers (not only Apple's) will do this when you try to charge a battery that has completely drained — for example, if the batteries went dead and were left uncharged for a while.

The solution is to cut power to the charger, leave it for about a minute, then turn the power back on. Sometimes you need to repeat this 2–3 times.

The explanation that I have read in (a different) charger's manual is that the battery needs at least a small charge in order for the charger to get a good read on its power status. For reference, I read this in the manual for my first-party Canon battery charger. And it worked just now for my Apple battery charger. Hope this helps.

Jul 15, 2014 6:19 PM in response to mattysouthall

I had something similar happen when trying to charge a set of Energizer AAs and cleaning the contacts actually worked for me. After awhile, the light would blink orange and the batteries would get incredibly hot (almost dangerously hot.) I'd wiggle everything around and it would work, but take a really long time and the batteries would get hot again.

It didn't seem obvious, but cleaning the contacts, especially the top recessed ones where the positive ends go, really made a difference. They didn't look especially dirty, but I just took a small cloth can cleaned the contacts gently until they shined. It makes a huge difference. The batteries charge in a few hours and don't get hot anymore. I guess it doesn't take much grime to create a lot of resistance and really screw things up.

Aug 8, 2014 9:20 PM in response to gadgetfish

Maybe a lot of these Apple AA chargers are faulty? Anyone have a good one? I'll request a warranty swap later just to be safe. There's always the hope that some manufacturing defect has been resolved.

Meanwhile, the above tips helped me. Thanks!

I was using brand-new Eneloops (should be identical to Apple's included batteries) on their very first re-charge. No good! Flashing orange every time.

- Plugging the charger into the wall first did not help (though I don't doubt it might help in other cases). Nor did trying different wall outlets.

- Cleaning the contacts and the batteries did not help (but is obviously good practice).

- Wiggling the batteries and shifting them slightly in different directions did not help... at first. (The flashing would often go steady for a few seconds, but then return to the error blink before long.)

BUT: wiggling them every which way, waiting to see what happens, then trying again... and again... and again... MANY times... DID eventually help!

So don't give up too soon on the wiggling/re-seating. And if/when you do get the light to stay on... back away softly and don't even breathe! The connection is incredibly fragile. (But not in the way you'd expect: it DOES connect with the batteries enough to know they're there, or else the light would simply be off. So what is the wiggling really doing? I don't get it.)

Aug 8, 2014 11:44 PM in response to Morgan Adams1

Sorry, Morgan, but your explanation is not sound. There should be no need to wiggle anything or drift around on a cushion of air. Apple battery chargers work with few exceptions. We only hear of the exceptions, not many people write here to say their charger works brilliantly; it is expected. So if you have an Apple product that appears to be faulty within the warranty period … simply return it for replacement.

Aug 9, 2014 12:55 AM in response to seventy one

You're probably responding to someone else (since I offered no explanation at all—I am baffled by the wiggling fix, but it is truthfully THE only way to make mine work); but in any case I agree: as I stated, it's going back for warranty swap.

Meanwhile, we can call only guess as to the statistical failure rate--but whatever it is, it affects multiple people--and my thanks goes to those others who found the same problem and the same solutions that ended up helping me. I have a presentation to give, and no warranty process will get me charged and ready in time! But wiggling? Yes! My only mistake was to give up too soon at first. To those who share this problem (especially if your warranty is over): that simple fix, however annoying, may well get you going again.

Nov 3, 2014 5:51 AM in response to mattysouthall

Just follow these steps if the led on a Apple battery charger blinks orange:

1. Clean the contacts on the charger with a dry cloth, try charging. If the led still blinks try 2.
  2. Clean the contacts of the batteries, try charging. If the led still blinks, try 3
  3. Try charging new batteries. If the led still blinks, return the charger for replacement and take the batteries you tries charging with you for testing.

Cleaning the contacts does the trick 9 out of 10 times!

Apple battery charger flashes orange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.