Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failure to find signal automatically after loss? using an iphone 5 ios6

Every time I go inside a building with a no signal and then come back out the iphone 5 will not find it again unless I reboot or turn airplane mode on and off.

Any ideas guys as to why it wont find the signal again.

I dont think this is a iphone 5 fault as such i think ita a ios 6 bug in an iphone 5 me and 3 others have iphone 5s and have the same problem it has happend to me about 2 times and the same with my friends who own this phone.

to fix it

1. turn the phone on and off

or

2 turn airplane mode on then off

everytime we did this it got a lock onto the 3g signal with 5 bars.

we are all on three service that only uses 3g in the UK and this might not happen as often or at all on other providers as they can drop down to 2g and back to 3g but as three dont have this you would just loss the signal and then it would pick it back up it might be a problem where the phone can not relock onto the 3g signal when it loses it from time to time.

i dont think these are broken phones as we all have had this happen to use a couple of times withing a week.

is there any other users with this problem and if so do apple know about it ?

its a pain as people can not contact you at all as its like the phone is not working.

any thoughts

i have used a 2 iphones (3gs & 4s) for 3 years in the same locations and service and never had this problem at all and the same goes for my other friends who are having this problem.

Pc

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 9:16 AM

15 replies

Apr 11, 2017 11:17 PM in response to Billyn40

Hi. I've just posted a similar question as I have exactly the same problem. I have been trying to sort this out through my service provider for three months and I am on my second iPhone 5s and sim card but still happening. i have had one other person so far reply, who has just updated to iOS 10.3.1 and now has the same problem. Looking at these posts I think it is likely to be a software problem. Which iOS are you using? I have just been asked to update to next iOS so I am hoping this will have a fix

Sep 29, 2012 9:42 AM in response to mwardy

did you do a new fresh iphone install or use a backup ?

I have been on the phone to apple and they say to go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings. this will clear wifi and mobile phone settings and then will reget them apart form the wifi which you have to re enter.

sont know if it will work this seems to be a big problem as i have seen a few on other forums having this problem,

Oct 6, 2012 6:43 AM in response to pstead

nope still the same problem its a joke all my friends have the dame problem on there iphone 5

ways to get it to relock on are

1. power off phone then back on again
2. turn airplane mode on then off
3. make a call to someone

the above 3 options forces the iphone 5 to relock onto the signal.

I hope this is a software bug as if its a hardware fault this is going to coast apple as everyone i know with a iphone 5 has this problem more so on three becasue they have no other service to fall back on after 3g as with otheres it would drop down to edge and still have a locked on signal. Its only when you go into an area where there is no signal and then you walk into a place with one that the phone just will not lock backonto it.

apple should try and fix this 1 bug and release it now as this is a major problem.

anyone know if apple know about this problem and are dealing with it is there going to be a fix soon as this is making this phone unusable

Oct 14, 2012 11:16 PM in response to Merid

Hi, same problem here. Very annoying as I have to reboot the phone to regain service everytime I lose 3G signal!

Turning on and off the airplane doesn't even solve my problem. I really do hape Apple will come out with a patch as soon as possible as it's very annoying and embarrassing to have a phone with this problem...especially when you have a work place full of A*****d supporters.

Oct 15, 2012 1:18 PM in response to Merid

I am sure this is an iOS 6 issue because I have started to face exactly the same problem on my iPhone 4 right after updating it to ios 6.

On my carrier there are only 3G and EDGE, my phone fails back to EDGE when 3G is unavailable or have a weak signal. however, after a few times of switching between EDGE and 3G, the iPhone will stop being able to connect to EGDE, then only 3G will work. Thus if no 3G is available, the iPhone gets stuck in "searching" mode. The only way to enable the phone to connect to EDGE against to turn it off then on again, after which I get 4 to 5 bars of signal on EDGE.

This is frustrating cause it is causing me to loose calls and get disconnected without knowing.

Apple, a patch is needed fast.

Feb 7, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Merid

Same problem here: iPhone 5 iOS 6.01, 6.1 and on a different replacement 6.02 device. Both had network settings reset and phoned provider Tmobile / EE to send new carrier settings.

With me, an airplane mode and / or mobile data toggle doesn't work sometimes, only power cycle.

I'm going to phone apple and ensure this is noted as its annoying; every time I come out of work (where I sit has intermittent weak signal but strong wifi all the time) I have to reset my device.

Failure to find signal automatically after loss? using an iphone 5 ios6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.