Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do a reduce a pdf file size while keeping the quality?

Hi. I am trying to reduce a pdf file (or i have it in jpeg and word too) to upload it to a website where the requirement is only 200 KB. Any idea how I can do this while still keeping the quality good?

Thank you!

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 9:07 AM

13 replies

Oct 2, 2012 3:12 AM in response to Csound1

Is this the same as customising a PDF setting with image compressions lower.

i.e - make a out put at 75pdi for all images?

I'm curious as I have lots of hires images on a 32 page document, (55mb) and the only way I can think if reducing the pdf file size undr 15mb is to trick indesign by removing the images folder while making the PDF so it believes there are no images and uses a screen version.

Oct 2, 2012 6:10 AM in response to Bex13

In the Utilities folder, there is the ColorSync Utility.

It has a Filters option.

Filters has a Reduce File Size component.

Reduce File Size has adjustments for image sampling, and compression.

The default setting will reduce a PDF by ~50%.

The caveat is that you may need to tweak the adjustments for optimum viewing. Allow for someone increasing the magnification of the final PDF to 150% for vision preference.

It is always preferable to reduce graphics content size in primary tools like PS or GIMP, before resorting to external tools as above.

Oct 2, 2012 6:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

In the Utilities folder, there is the ColorSync Utility.

It has a Filters option.

Filters has a Reduce File Size component.

Reduce File Size has adjustments for image sampling, and compression.

The default setting will reduce a PDF by ~50%.

The caveat is that you may need to tweak the adjustments for optimum viewing. Allow for someone increasing the magnification of the final PDF to 150% for variations in eyesight.

It is always preferable to reduce graphics content size in primary tools like PS or GIMP, before resorting to external tools as above.

And why would that be, they are also external tools. You have tried this or are you guessing?

Oct 2, 2012 6:17 AM in response to Csound1

I don't post recommendations unless I have actually used it.

I have used ColorSync Utility personally and the default settings reduced a PDF from 3.8MB to 1.6MB.

If I believe that a standard operating system utility will perform the task required by the OP, then I will recommend it. If it doesn't meet the parameters, than I will recommend a third-party solution.

How do a reduce a pdf file size while keeping the quality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.