Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to bitrate info for mp3's?

In OS X, it used to be possible to see the bitrate (e.g. 256kbps) for any music file in the preview pane of Finder windows or in the Get Info window for that file. Not anymore. OS X now tells me the sample rate, which is useless information because it is virtually always the same, but not the bitrate. Now I have to open the file in iTunes to get this information.

Is there any way to change this hopelessly lame "feature" back to the way it was?

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 3.06MHz Core i3

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 6:28 PM

Yes, you are wasting your time, and yes, obviouslly not realizing what is being asked, and to your defence, they really dont make their case clear. If you were a Dj using digital files, you like to see the quality of a soundfile, without using itunes or any 3d party software. I do miss the bitrate info in the finder. It has nothing to do with playlists, this issue is not closed, the only thing that should be closed is your comments. Can we please bring back the bitrate info back in finder, please!

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2013 6:28 PM in response to LousyFool

Yes, you are wasting your time, and yes, obviouslly not realizing what is being asked, and to your defence, they really dont make their case clear. If you were a Dj using digital files, you like to see the quality of a soundfile, without using itunes or any 3d party software. I do miss the bitrate info in the finder. It has nothing to do with playlists, this issue is not closed, the only thing that should be closed is your comments. Can we please bring back the bitrate info back in finder, please!

Sep 29, 2012 12:25 PM in response to LousyFool

I have a large music collection and, for me, the bitrate is basic information. Over the years, I have collected many albums in several lossy formats. and when I'm looking through the collection, it is very useful to be able to see at a glance that I have, for example, two versions of a particular album in mp3 format—128kbps and 320kbps. I can guess at the bitrate of a particular album by looking at the filesizes, but why should I have to do that?

Then, of course, there's the question of why Apple has chosen to give me the sample rate instead. Since this number is always the same, it represents the very quintessence of useless information.

Sep 29, 2012 12:43 PM in response to LousyFool

Of course I can get bitrate info by opening a song in iTunes, but that's a whole extra unnecessary step. I used to be able to see this information in the Finder.

I recently helped a friend upgrade to Mountain Lion and he later said: "All in all, Mt. Lion irritates me for what they have taken away at least as much as what I like that they have added."

I know what he's talking about.

P.S. It would be a moot point if my music lived on my startup drive, but it doesn't. It is stored on two 1TB external HD's. The most practical way to browse a collection this large is in the Finder.

Sep 29, 2012 12:45 PM in response to alansky1

Just like everyone or every other organization, Apple can't make everyone happy. You always have the option of going back to a previous OS X version which is to your gusto.

Maybe you got me wrong: in iTunes' list view you can add a column for bitrate, so then you see it ALL the time for ALL the songs. And iTunes will even help you finding duplicates......

Sep 29, 2012 1:16 PM in response to LousyFool

Thanks for trying to help. I understand exactly what you're saying. But in order to see my collection in iTunes, I have to import terabytes of music into iTunes. It's true that I can store that iTunes Library on an external drive, but all of that is more complicated than just keeping my music in a well-organized hierarchy of folders that I've been adding to for decades. It's not that I can't find other ways to accomplish the same task, but Apple has just made the job harder. And this is not the only counter-productive change that Apple has made in Lion and now Mountain Lion. Thankfully, they'll also restored an essential feature to Mountain Lion that should never have been removed in the first place: Save As.

Sep 29, 2012 1:36 PM in response to alansky1

Really not sure what you want to talk about: a solution to your bitrate "problem", or just a bit of general raving?

I'm probably wasting my time here, but you must not allow iTunes to take over management of your music collection, everything can stay where it is. I just don't get how juggling terabytes of tracks - how many thousands? - is easier with the Finder, no matter if it shows bitrate or not. How do you replace the functionality of playlists in Finder, for example?

Whatever, I consider the case closed. Thanks & good luck.

Mar 26, 2013 4:26 AM in response to alansky1

Alansky, I am with you on this. I noticed that you can no longer see the bitrate info in finder since I upgraded to Mountain Lion (one of many things I don't like about it). It was a very useful little feature for a number of reasons. For example: if you do a search for a track which returns duplicates and you want to pick the best version, etc.

I redcently found a pluggin called Iced Audio (http://www.icedaudio.com) which could help you out in managing your music library. I haven't installed it myself yet as it seemed a little like overkill. Just thought I'd share it with you as it does seem to have some great features.

Cheers

J

Apr 22, 2013 11:42 AM in response to alansky1

Extremely frustrating...I too would like it back. Apple seem insistant on dumbing down their products, forgeting what made them popular in the first place. iTunes should be looking forward towards higher quality music as MP3's are ruining music and the appreciation of. Removing the bitrate conveniently hides this. Converting files is important for allot of users i.e. AIF files from their own apps like garage band and logic and this just doesnt fit in with that, and makes it very slow to convert files and remove duplicate AIF files.

Aug 27, 2013 6:13 PM in response to alansky1

I found this app and tutorial, it takes an extra step but it gets the job done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6XygNwb8N4

And to people like LousyFool who can't just answer a question without questioning it, you're as much of a waste of time as the people who only comment with "same problem here", just stop commenting in forums if you can't lend a hand.

What happened to bitrate info for mp3's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.