Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open Email attachments (Doc, DocX)

Since upgrading my new iPad ( iPad3) to IOS 6 I cannot open attachments in email with extensions Doc or Docx . I get a screen with the attachment name and "Office Open XML word processing document" nothing else.

I have upgraded my iPhone 4 with IOS 6 and opened successfully the same email + attachment mentioned above.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 10:17 PM

Have you managed to solve this problem? I am having the same issue

10 replies

Jan 9, 2013 10:44 AM in response to terence 9

I have an IPAD 4th generation and I'm having the same problem as Terence 9 in trying to open document attachments in email. Oddly I can open the first of two attached documents, but cannot open the second. If I forward the same email from my PC to IPAD I can open both documents. I called Apple support and they don't know why either. Has anyone had any luck with doing a software reset?

Apr 15, 2014 1:00 PM in response to terence 9

I have had this problem for a while now. The only thing that worked is:

On your iOS Device:

1. Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings
  2. Once it restores, connect to iTunes
  3. do not Restore from Back Up (this doesn't work) - instead select Set up as New Device

This resolved the problem opening all mail attachments (PDF, .docx, .doc, .pptx, .ppt, .xlsx, etc.)

Good luck.

Cannot open Email attachments (Doc, DocX)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.