Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't access Bank of America on-line banking on my Macbook and BOA says the problem is with my computer. Please help.

I have tried, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. My Macbook is running 10.5.8. I have cleared my cache, cookies and browsing and download history. Sometimes I get so far as to be able to access my accounts page and then I can't access any other page on the site like on-line bill pay. Mostly, nothing happens after I put in my user ID. Sometimes I get an "error with the server," and sometimes I don't. Sometimes one user ID gets me a little futher (to the passwords page) and sometimes it doesn't. I've downloaded Adobe Shockwave Flash. This is not happening with any other sites and my husband can access the BOA site with his computer using the same user Id's and passwords using the same internet connection I am using. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 6:37 PM

I called them 4 times and after hours of troubleshooting they told me it is a computer problem and there is nothing they can do for me.

11 replies

Sep 30, 2012 4:52 AM in response to raehaas

Ask them if their website uses Java applets for authentication.

If you installed the last security update issued this year for 10.5.8, Java will be disabled (this is because it's rarely needed and is a major security risk).

In Applications > Utilities, open Java Preferences and ensure the two boxes next to the Java version numbers are ticked (checked).

Then check that Java is enabled in each browser. (Browser Preferences)

I recommend turning it off again when you've finished with the BoA site.

Note that this refers to Java not JavaScript, which is a totally different and unrelated process. You need JavaScript for most sites.

Sep 30, 2012 9:17 AM in response to noondaywitch

Thank you Noondaywitch. I appreciate your help. I called BOA and I asked them if their site uses Java applets for authetication and they said, yes. They also listed the ones I could use and they are: Adobe Shockwave or Shockwave/Object (I am using Adobe Shockwave), Sun Java Console, Java SS2 Link Helper or Java SSV Helper Class. I enabled Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers 12.9.0 in Firefox which is the only browser I am concentrating on right now. I also followed your suggestion and opened Java Preferences. The first 3 boxes were already checked and the last one was not (see the screen shot below.) Any help or advice you can provide at this point would be wonderful. I am really stuck here.

User uploaded file

Sep 30, 2012 10:05 AM in response to raehaas

The versions shown are the last ones available for Leopard.

Java 1.4.x is no longer supported, which is why it's off.

If you're still not getting functionality, try enabling it for a short time in case they're using old code.

The only other thing I can think of is that they're using later versions because of the security issues and may not be compatible, but I'm guessing there. (Lion was up to 1.6.0_35 I think - may be higher by now).

Time for someone with a deeper knowledge of Java than me.

I know we have a number of Java developers contributing to the forums, hopefully one will pick it up.

it may help to start a new thread specifically about the Java issue - that would be more likely to attract fresh attention.

I can't access Bank of America on-line banking on my Macbook and BOA says the problem is with my computer. Please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.