Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iPhone With Multiple Macs

Hello fellow Apple Discussers,

I have a question about syncing my iPhone with multiple Macs. Many of you will be aggravated with this thread as there are hundreds of threads similiar to this. I am not asking how to perform this, as I know the simple answer is, "No. iPhone can only sync with one computer.", and that's that. I want to ask WHY.

I find it very irritating that Apple won't let people do this. They should know that they have many, MANY Apple fans. And they should also know that these Apple fans would probably have a MacBook and an iMac (in my case). I, like many people, use my iMac (/desktop) as a central computer where all my files are located (because I feel that they are safer being on a mothercomputer). I only use my MacBook when I am on-the-go. So if by chance I download a free song offered by an artist (like Kanye West does), and I want to add it to my iPhone, there is no way of doing this until I get home. I want to listen to that song while I am traveling, not when I get home, where I usually forget. This goes for much more than just music.

Now I know that many people say that this is bad because people are able to share songs, and Apple must protect their relationship with artists, etc. This, to me, is a horrible reason (if it actually is the reason). Why? Because I am able to sync my iPhone with my MacBook, head out to my friend's place, transfer his music to my MacBook, and voila! Also, what is the point of authorizing your iTunes account? Apple allows us to authorize up to 5 computers. This is a perfectly better way of restricting sharing. By authorizing my Mac, Apple knows that I am using that Mac.

I am sorry if I am coming off as arrogant, but I just downloaded a FREE song GIVEN by an artisit while away from home and I am unable to listen to it on the way back home. Frankly, it does not mean the end of the world to me, but I am trying to express feelings that many people have. If Apple is truly customer-oriented (as it should be), they would be more than pleased with this feedback and try to satsify it someway. I am just trying to make the Apple experience better.

Thanks for reading,

iNik

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 3:09 PM

9 replies

Sep 29, 2012 3:17 PM in response to iNikola

Why can't you download the song from the iTunes Store direct with your iPhone? If being done with iTunes on your MacBook, you have wi-fi access when doing so unless you have a mobile internet service for your MacBook. Wi-Fi access with your MB means you can have the same with your iPhone to download the music with your iPhone. Are free songs not available for download from the iTunes Store with an iOS device?

Sep 29, 2012 3:19 PM in response to iNikola

I think they do it primarily to avoid any out of sync data on other computers causing problems and prevent you from using your iPod or iPhone to transfer your stuff to your friend's computer.

You shouldn't need to worry about syncing too much though, since iTunes can download new purchases automatically to all your devices, and you can download everything again for free.

In reality though, you can sync with multiple computers if they're all using the same library, so if you have an external HDD or a notebook and a desktop, you can store the library on your external HDD or notebook, and assuming you don't have connection problems between your computers, you can just select that library from your other computers. Then voila, syncing with multiple computers. I must admit, although I know that using a library from an external HDD works fine, I don't know how well it really works with multiple computers using it at the same time, as I've never tried that. I assume though that as long as you aren't actually usin more than one computer at the same with iTunes, there shouldn't be a problem, and even then there might not be.

Sep 29, 2012 3:25 PM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

I guess so, but there shouldn't be that big of a problem...

Yes, I know I am able to download it again, but it's just the fact that I'd like it now, haha.

And I have tried using an external HDD, but I find it being a hassle, because I always have to think of bringing the HDD with me or plugging it in to my iMac to listen to the music, etc. It's not as convenient.

Thanks for your reply!

iNik

Sep 29, 2012 4:24 PM in response to iNikola

I don't know about the downloading of purchases, but iTunes Match allows you to download your non iTunes music from iTunes. I suppose it would only work for iTunes media, since it downloads them to all your devices when you purchase it on one. So if you never purchase it from iTunes, it would never download it.

Allan, I've wondered about this before, what's the &amp in your post?

Sep 30, 2012 9:23 AM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

Allan, I've wondered about this before, what's the & in your post?

Posted with my iPhone and the same occurs when posting with any iOS device. That is how an ampersand turns out when posted with an iOS device. When using AT&T when posting with my iPhone or iPad, I usually use ATT instead. I thought it only came out that way without a space before and after & but apparently not.

Syncing iPhone With Multiple Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.