Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store user interface language

Recently, the user interface language of the App Store turned from German to Japanese. How can I set it back to German?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 5:33 PM

12 replies

Sep 29, 2012 6:06 PM in response to gail from maine

Gail, thanks for this lightning-quick answer. This method doesn't work unfortunately. To change the UI language, I am forced to also change the billing country and re-enter my payment method.

Apps Store doesn't accept my payment mehod - be it because of my Japanese street address or my Japanese credit card, I don't know.

Is there a way to only change the language? It used to be German; I dont't know how and when it switched to Japanese.

Sep 29, 2012 10:23 PM in response to berndbausch

Hi again,

See if the info in this article helps. It has you changing the language on your Mac or PC for the Store, but wondering if you do, if that won't also make it display in that selected language on your iDevices as well? Hope this helps.

I'm guessing you are living in Japan, but speak German? So, you are living in the country where your credit card/address is, but you want to simply display the info in a different language. Makes sense to me.....hopefully these instructions will get you there!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2242

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Cheers,

GB 🙂

Sep 29, 2012 11:29 PM in response to Chris CA

That's what I thought, Chris. Thanks for confirming. This is a strange rule, as one of a credit card's main benefits is to make purchases anywhere in the world, with the possible exception of North Korea. Even stranger is the rule that one must use the language of that country. I wonder if Canadians can use the app store in French? Or Irish in English?

Nov 19, 2013 12:20 AM in response to berndbausch

The iTunes and App store will usually only display the language of the country you made the subscription I can only down load from Japan iTunes and sometimes they do not have Apps or what ever but someties it depends on you language prefferences too ,it is quite annoying and confusing I use Finnish and English Swedish.

Apple is not altogether internatonal because of international agreements and local protectionism that is why there is no Finnish dictionary and spell checker

we are bound by the laws of the country we live in at the present and Apple and any other company does not want us to mixit up ,but they the internationalists Capitalists can do this like make Apple pruducts in China cheap labour.

yet it took years for Chinese to get Apple products ! Apple Japan is not very popular beause Japanese do not like the translations of Japanese by Nissei Japanese who live in the US!

Look at all the language preferences in Apple OSX they do nothing I use about 5 languages and find a total mix up my keyboard does not know what I am using better to have different computers install different language.

App store user interface language

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.