Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

QuickTake 200 "noise" problem

573 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2006 6:17 PM by Michael Hetes RSS
Michael Hetes Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 9, 2006 7:56 AM
Many of the shots that have been taken with my Quicktake 200 consistantly demonstate a "halo" effect in high contrast areas. The manual, of course, does not address this issue. These pictures were taken with a tripod-mounted camera. Does anyone know of a "QuickFix' for my Quicktake, or must I resort to a Photoshop plug-in for a solution?
Beige G3/266, Bondi iMac 333, Mac OS X (10.3.6)
  • Grant Bennet-Alder Level 8 Level 8 (48,140 points)
    Apr 9, 2006 5:06 PM (in response to Michael Hetes)
    Is that the same as PhotoShop calls "Posterization"? If so, it is caused by not enough color depth (i.e., you are asking it to use fewer bits to store the picture). This introduces artifacts such as posterization, because it does not have enough bits left to show different values for nearby colors.

The quicktake was a wonderful innovation. It was ahead of its time, and never caught hold because the rest of the stuff we do today with digital photos was not there to make it really GO. By today's standards, this camera's "fine" mode would not pass muster as "extra coarse" on a more modern camera.
    G4/867,G3 B&W,G3 AIO,5500,Q840AV, Other OS, and 9.2, 10.3 and Server - LW IIg, LW 4/600, ATalk ImageWriter LQ
  • Grant Bennet-Alder Level 8 Level 8 (48,140 points)
    Apr 10, 2006 1:32 PM (in response to Michael Hetes)
    Your description of that artifact reminds me of the description of "Unsharp Mask". Could the camera be pre-processing the photos to produce this effect?
    G4/867,G3 B&W,G3 AIO,5500,Q840AV, Other OS, and 9.2, 10.3 and Server - LW IIg, LW 4/600, ATalk ImageWriter LQ

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.