Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your iPhone cannot be restored because there is a problem with your backup data. Choose a different backup to restore from.""Your iPhone cannot be restored because there is a problem with your backup data. Choose a different backup to restore from."

I got an iPhone 5. I tried to set it up by restoring an iCloud backup. The backup I made was from 7am this morning. It doesn't work, and I'm getting an error message.

"Your iPhone cannot be restored because there is a problem with your backup data. Choose a different backup to restore from."

I called Apple support, and they tell me the backup could be corrupted, and to try another backup. I tried another backup...in fact, I tried all backups. I'm getting the same error, which makes me suspicious that my backups are in fact fine.

So I called Apple support again, and was told to "give it a few hours" because there system has been having issues today (despite icloud system status saying everything is fine).

Out of frustation about 3 hours late I called Apple support once more. I was told to give it more time because their servers are busy due to ios6 updates etc.

This is BS, and I'm tired of getting the run around. I have important messages, emails, etc I need to have access to ASAP! Anyone else with this issue, and how did you fix it??

I need to restore from backup, setting up as new is not an option! I could see how my one backup could be corrupt, but 3 differen ones, and one dating back to 9/13 doesn't work!!! By the way, the one from 9/13 I used last week to restore my iphone. It worked fine.

Someone help please!

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 8:07 PM

16 replies

Dec 15, 2012 2:03 PM in response to cnolf89

I know this is late, but here's the only way I got around this issue without having to start all over with a blank iPhone.

I restored my backup to a DIFFERENT iPhone 4. The restore still "failed" at the very end of the restore, but when the phone rebooted, everything I had restored was there! I then backed up the newly restored iPhone 4, and then restored that backup to my iPhone 5. Problem solved. 🙂

One thing to note; if you restore your original backup to an iPhone 4 that still has data on it, the restore will combine all the photo albums & Music.

I tried a lot of other things first before comming to this solution. I also jailbroke my iPhone and tried deleting the camera roll, deleting the iTunes sync information, deleting different preference files, resetting settings, etc. Nothing worked! 😟

I also contacted Apple Care and spoke to an Advanced Support Rep. She told me that other than starting over, the only thing I could try would be to use some unsupported 3rd party software. There are a lot of great jailbroken apps that do great things with restoring data like your call log, sms, etc, but you can't use them if you can't jailbreak the device you want to restore your data to.

Apple needs to add the way to backup your iPhone data with iCloud, not just the all or nothing setting they currently have. Starting with a blank phone isn't so bad if I can backup/restore my sms log, call log, etc independantly. 😉

Everyone who reads this should recommend this by filling out this form: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Dec 15, 2012 2:32 PM in response to cnolf89

Here is what I submitted to Apple as feed back.

I would like to request that you add the ability to backup and restore specific stock iPhone App data when using iCloud. Currently, I can backup my email, contacts, calendar, and Photo's to iCloud and regain that data when I add the account to a new device. I can't however backup and restore my SMS information, Call Logs, VPN Connections, email accounts, etc, independently without doing a full system restore. This should not be the case. 😟

If I run into a problem again (like I did when I upgraded to my iPhone 5 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4374835), then it wouldn't be such a big deal if I could just restore all the data that I care about, without having to worry about doing a full restore.

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2012 3:57 PM in response to cnolf89

I'm replying to this old post because I just had the same issue yesterday.

I had a replacement 4s. Every time I'd try to restore from an icloud backup, I got the message stating there was a problem with the backup data. I had a few different backups, and I tried all of them. They all had the same problem.

I called Apple Support. They went through the usual steps of rebooting the phone and router, and restoring the OS. This didn't help, though now the errors alternated between the "problem with backup data", and the more general "lost network connectivity." I disabled encryption on my router, and still had the same issues. Called apple support back, and they said that the backup in cloud was corrupted, and there was nothing they could do. The lady did mention that she had never heard of that happening, but that was what her manager said.

I spent a few hours restoring from a really really old iTunes backup, and customizing everything again. I just wrote off the pictures I lost, and went to bed frustrated.

Here's where I got lucky. Somewhere along the way, the wifi toggle on the settings page became disabled. I realized that this morning. Since I couldn't toggle wifi on or off, I went back to the apple store, and they replaced my replacement phone.

Now, I just did the restore from icloud (same image as before), and it worked. It worked quickly. Things are working well.

The tech in the Apple store seemed unsurprised by the symptom, apparently it's fairly common. One even mentioned that it usually means the antenna connection is faulty. It must have been enough to work before, but not work correctly.

Moral of the story: Apple doesn't know what they're doing with iCloud backups. The problem was the hardware itself, and nothing else. Pressue them for a replacement, and see if they will do it.

Apr 1, 2014 7:00 PM in response to cnolf89

I have an iPhone 5S, got this same issue. It was a brand new replacement phone from T-Mobile and had IOS 7.0.4. It wouldn't take a restore, same error. I tried restarting, no change. Tried multiple backups, no change. Finally FIXED by connecting the new phone to iTunes and selecting Update and Restore. Once the phone restored with the latest IOS was installed (7.1) I was able to restore from iCloud. Hope this helps!

Jul 9, 2014 4:04 AM in response to cnolf89

I managed to solve the issue on my iPhone 4S. I was given a replacement by EE and every time I tried to restore using iCloud I kept getting the error: "Your iPhone cannot be restored because there is a problem with your backup data. Choose a different back to restore from.". The problem lays in the firmware version you have.

I've put together a full tutorial here for anyone who has the same issue: http://www.technouz.com/3033/fix-error-ios-your-iphone-cannot-be-restored-becaus e-there-is-a-problem-with-your-backup-data/

Jul 25, 2014 4:15 PM in response to zmahmood

I have a 4S. 80% of my contacts went missing yesterday. I went to restore from the iCloud since I had backed it up the night before. I got the same message you're all talking about. I was looking for help and came across this thread. I tried the full tutorial, which was helpful and worked just as you instructed. However, I'm still getting the same message: "Your iPhone cannot be restored because there is a problem with your backup data. Choose a different back to restore from".

Any other suggestions?

Oct 14, 2014 4:49 PM in response to cnolf89

I know it's old but I just got past this very easily based on another poster saying the firmware was out of date. You don't need to use iTunes to fix this, just set up as a new phone then update your iOS to the current version. When update completes go to settings/reset and select erase all content and settings. Now try your iCloud backup again and it'll work!

"Your iPhone cannot be restored because there is a problem with your backup data. Choose a different backup to restore from.""Your iPhone cannot be restored because there is a problem with your backup data. Choose a different backup to restore from."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.