Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numerous issues with hard drive re-boot.

Hello -

My hard drive crashed for the second time in six months, and while I do have all of my documents backed up (or, all the important ones, anyway), I am having trouble re-installing a few of the programs.

It's an older computer, so I'm running OS 10.5.8. I don't know what animal that translates to. Doesn't say.

Anyway

1) Before the crash, I was using Chrome as my main browser because my work and primary personal e-mail accounts are gmail. When I tried downloading Chrome again, the icon had a null sign in the middle of it. Turns out I couldn't download it - I needed a OS 10.7.something to put Chrome on the computer.

2) Fine. I try to download a newer OS, but my attempt to get OS 10.7.5 failed because I needed OS 10.7. I found an OS 10.7.1, but that also failed...because I needed OS 10.7.

3) And now I can't plug my iPod in because I need iTunes 10.5 at least. But I apparently can't download that without OS 10.7.5, which I can't get....

I would very much like to update my operating system at least to the point where I can run the same programs that I was able to run before it crashed (and, OK, iTunes does run, but I can't attach my iPod to it) - but apparently, I need an update to get an update.

Then I tried to schedule a call, and it asked for my computer's serial number. Which I then entered and double-checked, only to be told that I had to enter a valid serial number. Which I then checked again - only to be told again to enter a valid serial number. I didn't steal this thing. I paid for it. The Apple Store folks have records of me. I have receipts. How is my serial number not valid?

So I tried calling the Apple Care line. Got a recording. Told me to call back during business hours. Didn't bother to say when they were. That wasn't very helpful. In fact, I thought it was rude. I can pretty much figure out when those hours are, but...well, do I have time to call before work? How quickly do I need to get home afterwards? Is Sunday an option?

This is enormously frustrating.

Can anybody help?

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 9:52 PM

3 replies

Sep 29, 2012 11:17 PM in response to ojoe629

You have to understand the difference between an Update and an Upgrade.

An Update is a free change within an existing Operating System. Such as the .8 added to 10.5.

An Upgrade is a complete new Operating System that must be purchased. Such as 10.5 Leopard to 10.6 Snow Leopard.

You have to upgrade to 10.6.8 to be able to download iTunes 10.7. The Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD should still be available from Apple for $20. You will have to call Apple Customer Care 1-800-692-7753 or 1-800-676-2775 to purchase it. It may still be in the Legacy Products list. The App Store which is required to download 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion is part of the 10.6.6 update.

If they no longer have any in stock you will have to buy it from eBay or Apple resellers that still have stock. But you will have to pay a premium since the DVDs are no longer being made. Snow Leopard DVDs are already up to $100 on Amazon.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=10.6+snow+leopard&_sacat=0&_odkw=mac+os+10.6 &_osacat=0

10.7 Lion is still available from Apple. You will have to call Apple Customer Care 1-800-692-7753 or 1-800-676-2775. to purchase it. Then within 3 days you will get an email with a code which you can use to download Lion from the App Store. The price is still $29.

Sep 30, 2012 8:34 AM in response to ojoe629

10.5 is a five year old operating system that's been obsolete for over three years so you have to look for older versions of applcations which are made to be compatabile with the newer operating systems.

From Wikipedia:

Google announced that the Chrome browser will be dropping support for Leopard starting on Chrome 21. By that time Chrome will no longer auto-update, and new Chrome installations are unallowed. Their rationale for removal of support is that Leopard is an "OS X version also no longer being updated by Apple."

Firefox will also drop support for Leopard after it ships Firefox 16 on October.

Numerous issues with hard drive re-boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.