Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird Sound Problem on iphone5?

While I am talking on the phone while driving, the iphone5 makes you feel like your ears are popping... Does anyone else notice this? I've asked 3 people and all 3 people said they noticed the same weird sound problem. It almost sounds like sticking your ear up to a seashell on the beach or something-

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 10:03 PM

18 replies

Oct 4, 2012 5:35 AM in response to bensurdi

I hear that too, it's definitely the noise canceling. Some new technique they're using. I believe the back microphone picks up ambient sound and reproduces it "the other way round" on the main microphone (the one you put to your ear) to wipe out ambient noise.

I don't think anyone should take his iPhone 5 back because of this. It's simply the way it works, you will get used to it.

I noticed it when making calls while walking outside on a windy day. Noise canceling would kick in and give this "ear popping" sensation. It's weird at first, but then you notice that it's indeed canceling out ambient noise, which is a good thing.

Oct 17, 2012 6:41 PM in response to bensurdi

I am experiencing the same thing with an AT&T 32gig phone. I have called Apple and they suggested a restore and I am still experiencing this very annoying issue. It is exactly like everyone in the macrumors is saying. It feels like there is pressure against your ear. I have only had this happen when driving with a constant road noise. It must be the noise canceling like everyone is suggesting. I would like to hear a response from an apple rep who knows a bit more about what the noise canceling is doing to the speaker next to your ear.

Oct 23, 2012 9:12 AM in response to bensurdi

I think its definatly the noise canceling as i can hear it only in noisy places.

Its very un-natural to hear when the other person is not speaking, also it dose not work as well as it probably should do.

APPLE: Please have an option to switch it off. And maybe have it so that it only dose it when the other person speaks.

Also I'v noticed that the iPhone 5 mic is gated (no audio transimtted when your not talking) pretty heavily, as its very strange talking to another caller with an iPhone 5 and when they dont talk its like theres no one there as there is no background noise.

The audio is far clearer than the 4s, but yes is very strange to get used to.

Oct 28, 2012 6:25 AM in response to bensurdi

Perhaps this could help you:

Please give it a try and activate the option "Hearing Aid Mode".

You can find it here:

"Settings" -> "General" -> "Accessibility" -> "Hearing Aids"

I couldn't test it yet, but I have read that activating the option "Hearing Aid Mode" should remove the curios feeling while having a call with the iPhone 5.

Perhaps this option deactivates the microphone at the backside of the iPhone5?

Dec 5, 2012 12:29 AM in response to bensurdi

I have a friend with a brand new iPhone 5, he has never used an Apple product before, and can hardly use it becuase of the extremely bad sound quality. I myself use an iPhone 4 and have perfect sound. No need to say that my friend just have ordered a Samsung Galaxy. He never want to use an iPhone again.

Why has Apple changed something that obviously worked fine before? It there is no problem - do not fix it!

Weird Sound Problem on iphone5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.