Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TIP - Spotlight is working again ...

Hi ALL,

After struggling for nearly a week after the latest update 10.7.5 I found the solution to "SPOTLIGHT INDEXING" and backing-up with TimeMachine.

In my earlier posted topic(s) I recommended to disable Spotlight temporally until Apple came up with a solution.

After a deep search on the Internet I found yesterday a Spotlight index issue solution from may 2012.

What could I louse? So, I gave it a try.

And viola, after 18 hours Spotlight finished indexing.

Making a back-up now is not a problem anymore when Spotlight is enabled.

TimeMachine finished the job in 9 minutes.

Read this web side and pas the 2 commands into Terminal ...

I hat to do it 2 times until it worked ...

http://guidovanoorschot.nl/how-to-fix-spotlight-when-it-keeps-indexing-n-mac-os- x-lion/

Good luck ...

Dimaxum

Late 2009 24, Mac OS X (10.7), iMac G4/1250 MHz-80GB HD-768Mb RAM iBook G3/600MHz 20GB-HD-64

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 1:49 AM

35 replies

Sep 30, 2012 3:09 AM in response to Dimaxum

I know this is a 10.7 thread but I have had same problems and seem to have a solution for now...

Despite running disk utilities and disabling spotlight couldn't get past 400kb on a backup on several attempts

Took the plunge and upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.2

turned off Time Machine

then ran disk verify and permissions repairs

reboot

set Time Capsule wireless to 5Ghz (in Airport Utilities/Wireless/Wireless Options)

...then held my breath and started a manual backup to TC

40 minutes later ticking along nicely with 2.61 of 15.86 Gb backed-up and counting

Since this is the first ML backup I assume there will be new operating system files to copy and it will take longer than a routine backup

There seems to have been no problem recognising the original sparse bundle from Lion and appears it's carrying out an incremental backup.

Will leave backup in progress overnight and if all ok then I plan to enable Spotlight and try again

Does anyone know if the command line instructions to re-enable spotlight are the same in ML as Lion?

I had not deleted spotlight index files in Lion (mainly because I'm not sure how) but welcome anyone's advice as to whether (and how) I should do this?

Sep 30, 2012 9:31 PM in response to mucsist

I could think of a few dozen different ways to reply to your post but, let me use tact instead. Paying for an upgrade is not that big of a deal...being FORCED to pay for an upgrade IS!

And besides 10.7.5 is not the only system being affected ML is as well. Have you not read the post, hundreds of complaints from ML and Lion users?

Do you work for Apple? That would explain your disconnection.

Oct 1, 2012 4:13 AM in response to kilgo

i am a relative novice to apple computers and had not much of a problem, therefore did not spent much time with reading these threads. Furthemore, i am working on multiple grant applications with extremely tight deadlines , yet another reason why not to spend time reading the chats.

I have a problem with my computer, and I am looking for the fastest a safest way to solve it without risking to loose the work i am doing right now.

Oct 1, 2012 4:16 AM in response to Dimaxum

have you heard others who tried and worked for them?

is there a risk that there would be a significant negative consequence to the system?

I do not understand much of this is about but I want my computer running smooth again - but can not afford to loose it right now. I would not have days or more to wait for a system reinstall, etc.

I do not have time machine backups

Oct 1, 2012 12:35 PM in response to Dimaxum

+1

Same issue here since updating to 10.7.5.

Tried method via terminal to disable, delete and restart spolight index, but indexing still slow (after 24 hours, 3 weeks remaining on a 1TB drive, 200GB free space).

I've submitted a bug report to Apple, with a link to this discussion.

Hope help comes soon from Apple, this is killing my battery.

Oct 2, 2012 3:09 AM in response to Network 23

Hi all,

I have this issue to. I have a different workaround, which also disables Spotlight. So Spotlight makes TimeMachine hanging.

Before starting a new backup, I type the following command in a Terminal:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

I start TimeMachine and it saves my data quite fast (less than 2 minutes for 50Mb).

Then I type:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

If I do not use these two commands, TimeMachine hangs during up to one hour before finishing backup (it is stuck at "Saving 12.4Mb out of 12.4Mb" during minutes).

So I suggest that we all make a bugreport to Apple with the title: "TimeMachine hangs when Spotlight is in use under Mac OS X 10.7" describing our problem.

I believe that if we are numerous people to post a bugreport, the bug will be processed with higher priority.

Oct 2, 2012 8:13 AM in response to lauhub

It now reads only 9 hours left (but it has stayed there for the past +12 hours and the progress bar shows no change).

Everyone who has this issue should submit a bug report to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

If they get enough reports, it should go to the top of their list of priorities.

Don't foget to Tweet, Facbook etc. to get some noise on this!

TIP - Spotlight is working again ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.