Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 shows as iPhone 4S in Manage Devices

Subject pretty much says it all... when I go to Manage Devices in my iTunes store account, my iPhone 5 shows up as an iPhone 4S.

When I first set up my iPhone 5, I did restore it from a backup of my previous iPhone 4S, but surely this is what everyone does? I did the same going from the 4 to the 4S, without this particular problem.

Any idea how to fix it?

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 4:56 AM

14 replies

Oct 4, 2012 5:05 PM in response to m0thr4

I'll add my frustration to the pile as well. My itunes doesnt even show a device selection option in the left column, and when I go into manage devices.....whadda know iphone 4s! (i have a 5, previously owned a 3gs)

Very annoying indeed! there seems to be several issues with this new phone, including setting up a pop email account which also does not work, and worked fine on my 3GS

Oct 5, 2012 6:31 AM in response to m0thr4

Same here. I spoke with AppleCare Support last night to discuss it and the rep said he hadn't heard about this issue yet! I hope it gets corrected soon, along with several other "new" iTunes-related issues, including iTunes not finding my iPhone 5 for a wireless sync unless I re-boot my MBP (as someone else here has mentioned).

Oct 9, 2012 6:29 PM in response to m0thr4

Same here, iPhone 5 showing up as 4S, even though my last iPhone was a 4.

Btw, I chose NOT to restore from the iCloud backup I had of my previous iPhone 4 (choosing to set up my 5 as "new") so it looks like this issue has nothing to do with old settings from a previous restore.

I think it's probably as simple as someone at Apple needing to update the hardware profiles info available to iTunes by adding in iPhone 5. Since the iPhone 5 version number is higher, iTunes appears to be defaulting to the highest known iPhone version number it has, which is obvioulsy the iPhone 4S.

Other than that, I'm not experiencing other issues, so I'm guessing it's a simple fix someone will eventually get around to doing--probably once they're done helping out the Apple Maps team--LOL!

Oct 13, 2012 2:45 AM in response to m0thr4

Yep, I have the same problem. I raised the issue with Apple (case id 360600209) and typically as before they treat it as if they have not got a problem.

The Customer Support Adviser suggests that I need to pay for technical support to resolve their problem. I gave him a piece of my mind and asked him to speak with someone senior before coming back tom; after several emails later, this is Apple's latest reply:

Dear xxxxx,

I have consulted my senior advisor to handle your request, however, your issue is out of our scope of support. You may get advice, insight, and hands-on technical support at a local Apple Store (there may be a fee for the visit). Find the Apple Store nearest you and click the link to make a reservation at the Genius Bar:

So I am off to the Genius Bar today -- will report back.

What farce for a leading and global company!!!!

Oct 13, 2012 2:59 AM in response to m0thr4

The side bar uses the NAME on your device.

It can be anything and not directly associated with the model.

To change it do this on your PHONE

Settings/General/About

In the top panel is the NAME

Tap the reveal arrow on the right of the name

In the next panel TYPE what ever you want to call your phone and that's what will appear in the side panel of iTunes on your Mac or PC.

iPhone 5 shows as iPhone 4S in Manage Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.