Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing movie files into iMovie

I usually shoot my files in other camera apps (Filmic Pro, Almost DSLR, TurtleHead, etc) on my iPhone 4S. I want to be able to edit on my iPad 2. Do I have to send the movies into the camera roll (which adds compression) or is there a way to import Movie files into iMovie from other sources? I have not purchased iMovie yet because I need to make sure there is a possible workflow. I teach at a film school and we are exploring mobile filmmaking and would like to have the ability to produce, shoot, edit and distribute completely on on mobile devices.

iPad 2, iOS 6, iMovie, Filmic Pro

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:19 AM

1 reply

Oct 5, 2012 4:24 PM in response to filmprofessorbear

Sending video from filmic pro to the camera roll does not add more compression.

I have no experienced filmic pro reencoding on export.

YOur best option is to shoot with filmic pro e.t.c, add to camera roll, connect to iPad via camera connection kit.

Import video to iPad photos app.

Open iMovie on iPad and videos are there, in all their higher Bitrate glory.

Exporting from iMovie will reencode the edited video to the standard iOS movie data rate though.

IMovie also has a "record iframe" option.

WHich allows you to record video within iMovie as iframe video.

This creates larger videos that are better quality.

Again, once edited and exported it outputs as standard non-iframe iOS video.

You can also export the iMovie iOS project to a mac, and do the final render /export from iMovie mac.

WIth would give better quality, or at least more export options.

Here are further discussions on importing video to iMovie:

Import Videos to iPad via iTunes:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3801839?tstart=0

ALso have a look at 1st video for iPad.

A much more comprehensive editor.

Importing movie files into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.