Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I regain my bootcamp access after Fusionware?

Problem:

Boot camp used in dual boot mode:

Windows & applications have lost licensing info when booting into the windows partition.

Details:

"Upgraded" Parallels to VM Fusion. I think this is the source of my issue: Fusion, unlike Parallels appears to take over BootCamp.
I've read a little online that seems to point to Fusion being the issue.

When I reboot into just a windows partition, all licensing seems to have gone jumbled. Windows wants to be re-registered.
Applications also have lost the information needed to make them run.

Is anyone aware of a good & quick way to restore this to its former state?
I have no real backups of the partition. I'm not sure about the licensing info anymore either - its all legit, but the

applications are several years old.

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 6:56 AM

12 replies

Sep 30, 2012 7:32 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks for a reply.

Re-registering may ultimately be what I need to do.

This question is hoping that someone has other insights, or that there might be a simpler solution.

I have apps I need to run & would prefer not to digress into becoming a windows expert.

Some of the reasons:

1. I really don't want to futz around with Windows' tools.
  2. I try not to go online using Windows. Especially since changing ISPs & losing the Firewall on that side!
  3. It didn't work when I TRIED to go online. I don't really want to debug Windows. That's why I run a Mac.

Sep 30, 2012 7:47 AM in response to CroMagnum

Both the Parallels and Fusion sites have explanations about licencing issues when using a Boot Camp installed Windows as the guest operating system. It is not difficult to register again and it is necessary since when running Windows in a VM causes Windows to "see" new virtual hardware. So Windows "thinks" it has been re-installed on a new computer.

This is just the way it works and it is a simple matter and only required once to re-register. No big deal.

By the way, Fusion does not "take over BootCamp". Both Parallels nd Fusion can use Boot Camp installed Windows. You do not need to re-install Windows to use it in Parallels or Fusion if you already have Windows installed using Boot Camp Assistant.

"Some of the reasons:

1. I really don't want to futz around with Windows' tools.
  2. I try not to go online using Windows. Especially since changing ISPs & losing the Firewall on that side!
  3. It didn't work when I TRIED to go online. I don't really want to debug Windows. That's why I run a Mac."

1. Then stop using Windows. If you didn't want to "futz around" with OSx tools you would just stop using OSx. Every OS has tools needing to be used at some point or another.

2. That is just paranoia or poor understanding of safety and using the Internet. Millions of users go online with Windows.

3. You don't have to "debug" Windows. If it did not work then you have not set up your connection correctly or do not understand how to go online. Windows "goes online" very well and it is rare that there is an issue not caused by erroneous configuration.

"I've read a little online that seems to point to Fusion being the issue."

Then go to the Fusion site and read their help and support pages. Fusion clearly explains on their site, As does Parallels, how to deal with using Bootcamp installed Windows.

Sep 30, 2012 7:51 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks again.

Gotta love prompt help!

I realize its my choice.

But I need it to be an informed choice - to the point of knowing if there ARE options to restore the situation easily.

I had hoped there was a way to regain that information & status, since apparently its embedded somewhere in the Fusion virtual machine.

Please clarify: Are you saying that call is to Microsoft? Which ostensibly gets me past going online in an insufficiently protected Windows install. This is an old install of XP Pro & I just know its going to get messier because it will all be treated serially, one slow step at a time.

I also expect its potentially MORE than one call, if re-registering is the path. As I said, several other apps are failed.

Quite legal, but older high ends apps that I really didn't want to futz with, have no support account for, nor want to readdress with the salesmen trying to sell me upgrades for $5k or more.

I'm sure that 30 days probably quit by now then, because on the initial boot attempt -

it said I had 5 days to do so, if I recall correctly. That was a month ago.

Sep 30, 2012 8:04 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Bob, Thanks.

However, you missed some of the nuance in what I said:

Registering may be the way I HAVE to go & you guys may well be taking the shortcut to my end solution.

I thank you for that advice.

Parallels worked fine & never caused the issue I have found since "Converting" Parallels to Fusion. However, that install was old, pre-Lion & I got Fusion as part of a bundle. Sad lesson in activating software you don't really need.

I was hoping people here were smarter than over on the Fusion site & therefore this is my first in-depth stop. I am not terribly impressed by the parent company that makes that 3rd party app & wasn't going to say so here.

I tried to go online, but it failed.
My old ISP provided a firewall (Norton) that I can't seem to access either.

The apps I need to access reside on the Windows side. They are expensive. They do not exist on the Mac side. Thus I have no Mac option for them. But I don't want to lay out any more money for something I run sporadically on an OS (Windows) that I dislike.

Sep 30, 2012 8:11 AM in response to CroMagnum

CroMagnum wrote:

Bob, Thanks.

However, you missed some of the nuance in what I said:

Registering may be the way I HAVE to go & you guys may well be taking the shortcut to my end solution.

I thank you for that advice.

Parallels worked fine & never caused the issue I have found since "Converting" Parallels to Fusion. However, that install was old, pre-Lion & I got Fusion as part of a bundle. Sad lesson in activating software you don't really need.

I was hoping people here were smarter than over on the Fusion site & therefore this is my first in-depth stop. I am not terribly impressed by the parent company that makes that 3rd party app & wasn't going to say so here.

I tried to go online, but it failed.
My old ISP provided a firewall (Norton) that I can't seem to access either.

The apps I need to access reside on the Windows side. They are expensive. They do not exist on the Mac side. Thus I have no Mac option for them. But I don't want to lay out any more money for something I run sporadically on an OS (Windows) that I dislike.

That's all very interesting but has no bearing on your issue, an issue that has but one resolution, take it if you wish to continue to use Windows. As far as MS is concerned you have exceeded your licensing, phone activation is all you have left.

FYI, I have done this several times, it is a 9 minute phone call.

Sep 30, 2012 8:19 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1,

Yes I agree that it has no direct bearing.

That was an answer to Bob the Fisherman.

I'm trying to answer some points & backstory.

Otherwise people make assumptions, which is the same reason I point out that my installs are thoroughly legal: to nip any digressions in the bud.

I need to get to the internet to reactivate the license apparently. (Despite the phone call?)

My initial attempt failed.

It may be the outdated Norton doing it. I cannot access Norton. It came with Comcast.

"Levels" notwithstanding, I can't be sure I am getting the ultimate best advice, as I've gotten some dicey answers in the past (not from either of you, I believe). That's not a slam, that's me being cautious before leaping.

Will proceed from here.

Sep 30, 2012 8:24 AM in response to CroMagnum

You do not need the internet, you need the phone number to call, and that is:

Method 1: Use the telephone number in the list

To activate your product over the telephone, use one of the following numbers:

• Windows activation: (888) 571-2048
  • Office activation (U.S. only): (888) 652-2342
  • TTY number: (800) 718-1599

So, enough delay, your window is closing, call them and activate.

Nov 7, 2013 5:12 AM in response to Csound1

Yes, activating via the call was a plan. It worked well.

It wasn't at all bad in comparison to past experiences with MS, including the initial load of Windows.

The problems was caused when I installed FusionWare. It took over the bootcamp partition, cleared my licenses for Windows & several apps & I have never regained the licenses of the apps that I needed. If I recall correctly, there was no warning this could, or would happen.

How do I regain my bootcamp access after Fusionware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.