Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clear Safari SSL client certificate cache?

I have two SSL client certificates which I can use to access an Apache web server via Safari. Let's call them Cert-A and Cert-B. I can use either certificate to authenticate. When I first accessed the web server, a selection dialog popped up and I chose Cert-A for authentication. Now whenever I access the web server, Safari no longer displays a selection dialog, but automatically uses Cert-A. Thus, I cannot switch to Cert-B.

I have deleted all web objects and cookies via Safari preferences, I have cleared my ~/Library/Caches directory, I have rebooted the machine -- it does not make a difference. How can I force Safari to display the certificate selection dialog again? Is there a special certificate cache I can clear?

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Ralph

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 6:57 AM

14 replies

Sep 30, 2012 9:53 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, Linc. I should have stated that I was aware of this feature. What I want to be able to do is choose the proper certificate from a popup whenever I access the web page. One of the certificates is used for everyday work, while the other is used for administrative tasks. Modifying an identity preference each time I need to switch my role is too cumbersome.

-Ralph

May 1, 2014 3:57 PM in response to RS-ASC

I just had this happen, and noticed when you select a certificate it creates an Identity Preference in the Keychain.

I found it by typing part of the domain name into the search box of Keychain, and it shows up a Kind called "Identity Preference". Just delete this and it will prompt the certificate selection again.

Alternatively, if you double click it you can select the perferred certificate in the dialog.

How to clear Safari SSL client certificate cache?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.