Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use VoIP at home and a prepay service outside with same number?

Hmm... After doing a ton of searching over the net, I cannot seem to find a simple answer to this.

I want to setup to a prepay plan for my daughter. After doing a lot of research I have settled on using a used AT&T iPhone 4 with the Straight Talk plan from Walmart. But ther is one problem. Straight Talk uses the at&t network and we have no reception at home.

So I would like to phone automatically switch to using wifi when at home, just like it does for data. From what I understand, this means getting a VoIP system going somehow. But when I go to the app store the number of VoIP apps is bewildering. I would like to use something that will make it completely transparent, ie keeping the same iPhone number, being able to text msg and all. Is that possible? Can I do that with a known quantity like Skype or vonage? Is there some extra hardware required? Can I keep my number? Any other recommendation?

My ISP is Cox communications and my wifi is through an Aiport Extreme.

Thank you for any help in this rather confusing issue.

Bo.

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:01 AM

6 replies

Can I use VoIP at home and a prepay service outside with same number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.