Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted phone numbers still appear in Messages drop down menu

I have an iPhone 5, iOS 6. When I enter a name to send a message, the old DELETED phone numbers still appear for that person. See attached.

So far I have deleted the old phone numbers EVERYwhere including: iPhone contacts, iCloud contacts, phone contacts, google contacts, facebook contacts, email addresses, favorites, iPad, everything.

I have restarted the iPhone, turned off and on the Messages app. Everything short of completely restoring the phone.

Here's the thing. This happens for every contact where I have already sent them a message from this phone, and they have since changed their phone number. Example: Look at the two entries for "judith w"

User uploaded file

I sent Judith a message on 11/21/12 to her old phone number (the 868 number). Then, she got a new phone number on 11/25 (the 98.... number, 4th on the list). Now, when I go to enter her name to send a message, her old number still appears (at the top of the drop down list) and her new number appears further down.

Also, her old number uses the previous all lower case entry that was in Contacts. When I added her new number I changed the spelling to be Upper/then lower case.

She is not the only contact where this happens. This happens with ANYone who has chaged their number since I sent them a message using this app.

It seems clear that there is some kind of cache for Messages that is doing this.

So, has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you fixed it?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 9:18 AM

16 replies

Mar 12, 2017 7:42 AM in response to Community User

Yes, that's brilliant, thank you. However, while it works in Messages on the iPhone, it doesn't work in Messages on my Mac because there is no blue info circle when the offending phone number shows up - perhaps they haven't cured that one yet. Interestingly Windows cured this problem years ago - there's a small delete x next to each line in the drop down box and clicking it removes the phone number or email address from the cache.

But - one step at a time...

Jon.

Jun 5, 2017 12:57 PM in response to Orrinette

I don't see what you're referring to as "little tap". Can you take a screen shot? I've seen on some post where you click on the i and the contact card comes up where at the bottom of the card it says "delete recent" but I don't see that on mine and I'm updated.

These old phone #'s (or emails in mail) keep popping up as suggestions and I'm wasting time on figuring out the right one! Now wasting time time trying to figure out how to save me time by fixing it! Haha!

Nov 1, 2012 7:53 PM in response to gossamerjohn

goasamer,

you DO know that Apple's not here, right? So statements like "This is a huge miss, Apple" not only are completely wasted and misdirected, but it makes you look foolish.

Had you bothered to search this forum before posting, you would have learned that the only way to remove the previous numbers from the phone's "memory" is by restoring as a new device.

Nov 1, 2012 8:10 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Yes, after I created this topic I did search the forum and foundthis thread weeks ago where several people point out that the only resolution they've found is restoring the phone as a new device. Maybe you can spend some of your ample Level 6 time in that thread admonishing people for mentioning "Apple."

If a complete restore was a viable resolution for me I'd have done that but I - like others - thought and hoped that an update would resolve the issue.

I'm comfortable with letting a few seconds of my time look "wasted and misdirected" to you even if it means - GASP - I look foolish too. It's clear you're comfortable acting like a pretentious **** on a message board. Hope it works for you.

Dec 30, 2012 11:24 PM in response to gossamerjohn

I'm noticing the same issue, this with a person who changed her number (her old number still shows up when I start a message to her, even though that number is no longer in her contact entry).

In Mail, there is an easy way to remove these "orphan" autofill entries. In Messages, there is no way that I've found.

I posted a new question after searching on the forums (and then, of course, found this one). However, I can find no answer. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4653123 is the post I made.

At any rate, if anyone has an answer, please share. If I find one, I'll post back here, too.

Dec 9, 2016 3:59 PM in response to gossamerjohn

The fix for this issue is so easy, however I didn't figure it out easily..

First go to type the message to the person you don't want in there anymore, then click the blue info circle next to the name, then when in the information there should be a remove from recents, once you remove them it shouldn't show up anymore.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Hope this helped! 😀

Deleted phone numbers still appear in Messages drop down menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.