3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2012 3:09 PM by Old Toad
jimhaynes Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

In iPhoto 11 ver. 9.4 when I go to File>Switch to Library I find 3 iPhoto Libraries - all with the same name "iPhoto Libary".  I discovered this when I recently accepted an invitation to share my son's Photo Stream and I was asked to which iPhoto Library I want to share.  I was not aware I had 3 iPhoto Libraries.  I only use one that I know of.  Should I delete or remove two of these other libraries without deleting any of the data in my most recent Library.  If so, how?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, MacBook Air, IPad v1, Apple TV v2
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (128,910 points)

If you click just once on each of the libraries you can see where they are located just below the window:

001.jpg

If you find that the libraries contain photos you want to keep you can use the paid version of  iPhoto Library Manager to copy the two smaller libraries into the larger one. 

OT

• jimhaynes Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I chose the last libray on the list (all had the same path and names except the last path was the same but iPHOTO LIBRARY is in upper case.  I could see no difference, so I swiched again and chose the first on the list.  Now that library has a (defult) after the name.

Screen Shot 2012-09-30 at 3.19.35 PM.png

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (128,910 points)

If all of the entries are pointing to the same library then there may be  preference file damage.   Make a temporary, backup copy (if you don't already have a backup copy) of the library and try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home()/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home()/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder. 

Click to view full size

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto.  You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

NOTE 2:  In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.