Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCE 4.01 and 5d Mk II

Hello,

I was going to help a friend out with editing on Monday, and he's got FCE 4.01 and a 5DMKII.

Last time I used FCE, I remember there being issues with that camera's footage. Based on my web searches, it looks like we'll need to convert the footage to Apple Intermediate Codec before FCE will work well with it on the timeline.

Questions:

Is my above assumption correct? Do we need to convert his HD native footage to the the Apple Intermediat Codec?

If so, what would be the optimal settings?

I found this info via this old 2009 thread:

Compression: +Apple Intermediate Codec for HD or DV-NTSC for SD+

*Frame Size:* +(A supported FCE frame size, for example 1920x1080,

1440x1080, 720x480, etc. The supported frame size you choose should be

as close to your original frame size as possible)+

*Frame Rate:* 29.97

Sound: +Uncompressed Stereo 48kHz+

Could anyone give me more specific settings?

Will FCE export 29.97 progressive footage in the H.264 format? Maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I vaguely remember that the last time I used FCE, there were limitations on what formats one could export out of FCE?

Optimally, I'd like to be able to export in a format that's as close to the original input format as possible (for archival purposes) and then I'd also like to export a progressive H.264 mp4 ~2-5mbps CBR for use on the web.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide me.

Cheers,

Micky

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 6:20 PM

The Canon 5D Mk II shoots H.264 video in 1920x1080 30p/25p/24p and 640x480 30p/25p - all of which are progressive modes. The only progressive format that FCE works with is 720p, which the 5d doesn't shoot. Also, FCE does not support 24fps (interlaced or progressive).

You will need to convert 1920x1080 footage to QuickTime - Apple Intermediate Codec - 1080i60 (US) or 1080i50 (Europe) in order to use the video in FCE; these are interlaced formats. If you shoot 640x480 standard def, then convert to QuickTime - DV NTSC (US) or DV PAL (Europe) both of which are interlaced formats. DV is 30i (NTSC) or 25i (PAL). The "30i" is actually 29.97 fps interlaced.

As far as I know, you cannot export progressive video from FCE unless you were working in a 720p sequence in the first place.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2012 6:20 PM in response to mhulse2011

The Canon 5D Mk II shoots H.264 video in 1920x1080 30p/25p/24p and 640x480 30p/25p - all of which are progressive modes. The only progressive format that FCE works with is 720p, which the 5d doesn't shoot. Also, FCE does not support 24fps (interlaced or progressive).

You will need to convert 1920x1080 footage to QuickTime - Apple Intermediate Codec - 1080i60 (US) or 1080i50 (Europe) in order to use the video in FCE; these are interlaced formats. If you shoot 640x480 standard def, then convert to QuickTime - DV NTSC (US) or DV PAL (Europe) both of which are interlaced formats. DV is 30i (NTSC) or 25i (PAL). The "30i" is actually 29.97 fps interlaced.

As far as I know, you cannot export progressive video from FCE unless you were working in a 720p sequence in the first place.

Oct 1, 2012 6:28 PM in response to MartinR

Martin... YOU ROCK! Thank you so much. 🙂

I meant to mark that your answer "solved" my question... I was going to give you both the "solved" and "helped" status, but it looks like the forum software does not let me do that. If you could reply one more time, I'll mark it as "solved" to give you the full amount of points. Sorry about that!

Many thanks for the answer and solution!!! I owe you one.

Cheers,

Micky

Oct 2, 2012 11:35 AM in response to MartinR

I´m going to dive into this conversation as Martin seem to be the guy in the know :-)

I need to find the best solution to work with my old computer but with high end DSLR HD files.

I´m feeling really stuck in my set up, as I have a very old Mac Pro, G5, from 2007 with old software and no upgrades. I have just replaced the graphic card as it caved in and have ordered Snow Leopard to start upgrading.

I´ve got Final Cut Express HD 3.0 and I´m not getting on with it at all - nothing works as it should. If it´s not the sound, it´s the pix or all of it together.

My biggest problem now is that I´m testing a Nikon D800 for video use and I can´t get the footage to play with FC at all. I´ve tested in Imovie (´09), and it works, but with horrible jutter, it works ok in VLC. First I thought it was the settings in the camera, then the card, then the computer, but now I understand that it´s probably the version of FC that´s not managing the files and I probably need to purchase a new version of FC Pro X unless you can recommend another option?

Will my HD footage work with FC Pro X in Snow Leopard or will I still have trouble?

If you are used to shooting with DSLRs, please let me know if you have any advice on external audio devices - I´m looking at the Zoom H4n.

Many thanks!
Mi

Oct 2, 2012 3:14 PM in response to melfverson

"Will my HD footage work with FC Pro X in Snow Leopard or will I still have trouble?"

Yes HD will. Thing is there are many blends of HD footage and not all work. We need specifics.

Also your G5 is going to be the biggest drag factor. It's not an Intel chip Mac so that's like having a boat anchor dragging on the wrong boat.

You need a minimum OS 10.6.8 to have the App Store available on a Mac to even purchase FCP X.

Older Macs can't even access the App Store to purchase FCP X because if the graphics card is not supported you get a "Cannot Do" warning.

Even newer Intel Macs need to meet Apples standard to purchase Mountain Lion or FCP X.

Most Macs need to be about 2009 or later to be in with a chance.

You will have to transcode your files from your camera to get it to work with FCE 3. Match one of the FCE Easy Setup specs.

If you want to move to FCP X then it's time for a shiny new/ish Mac. 🙂

In short do lots of homework before buying anything.

Al

Oct 2, 2012 6:24 PM in response to melfverson

Well, first things first. You need an Intel Mac in order to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard won't run on a G5 Mac. Ditto regarding Final Cut Pro X.

As for the D800, its video capabilities are very similar to the 5D MK II, although in the case of the D800 you could shoot 720p30 and ingest the footage directly into Final Cut Express v4 provided the camera really is AVCHD and not just a flavor of "H.264AVC". But, again, you need an Intel Mac to use FCE4 with AVCHD video.

D800 video specs:

Frame size (pixels)
and frame rate

• 1,920 x 1,080; 30p, 25p, 24p
  • 1,280 x 720; 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p; actual frame rates for 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, and 24p are 59.94, 50, 29.97, 25, and 23.976 fps respectively; options support both high and normal image quality

File format

MOV

Video compression

H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding

Oct 22, 2012 8:33 PM in response to mhulse2011

Hi, FCE's native file format is Apple Intermediate Codec as well as iMovie. We have to use a plugin (L&G or capture )to import H.264 MOV from 5DM. If you have backup the footages to your Mac or other card. You have to use a Video Transfer tool to convert H.264 MOV to AIC before getting to FCE for editing.

Learn more: http://www.editavchdmac.com/how-to-import-canon-5d-mark-iii-mov-to-imovie-on-mac /

FCE 4.01 and 5d Mk II

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.