Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A little water spilled on my macbook

Ok i know, really stupid to be drinking near the macbook but what's happened has happened and nothing i can do now. Anyway, it wasn't a major amount and it landed mainly on the top of the keypad and screen. I turned it off immediately and mopped up what water there was with a towel. I know since i should have left it off but worry overcame me and i powered it up again to see if it was ok. Everything seemed fine. Powered on ok and most of the keys worked ok.

But, the numbers and the top two rows of letters did not work when pressed alone. They work when pressed with the key next to them if that makes sense but not alone. Anyway i switched it off again and that's how it's stayed since (this was about 3pm GMT).

I'm planning on leaving it overnight and checking it in the morning but should i leave it longer? Its laid on its side at the moment in a plastic bag on top of rice next to a radiator. Is that ok? And it was only plain water. Anyone else suffered a similar problem and if so did it work again after letting it dry out? Like i said, the other keys work just not those three rows.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 12:09 PM

2 replies

Sep 30, 2012 1:46 PM in response to jennib83

jennib83 wrote:

I know since i should have left it off but worry overcame me and i powered it up again to see if it was ok.

big mistake. you should leave it off for 72 hours and remove the battery if possible.

jennib83 wrote:

I'm planning on leaving it overnight and checking it in the morning but should i leave it longer? Its laid on its side at the moment in a plastic bag on top of rice next to a radiator. Is that ok?

Get it away from the radiator asap and and get rid of the rice. let it dry by itself.

A little water spilled on my macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.