Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 tethering not working via usb after itunes 10.7 install

Im on os 10.6.8 on 2 machines

I made the mistake of updating to itunes 10.7 on my mac pro. This was before I updated to ios6 on an iphone 4

Clearly apple didnt test itunes 10.7 before releasing it to the public and yet again we are the unpaid software beta testers!

My desktop did not recognise my iphone when plugged into the usb charger/data cable as it did perfectly fine with itunes 10.6.3

I had to connect via bluetooth since I dont have wireless on the mac pro. This works but I prefer to tether with the usb cable.

I think its a lot slower via bluetooth than with the usb cable

I know that the phone isnt affected itself because I left the laptop with itunes 10.6.3 and it sees the phone when plugged into the usb and the internet tethering works fine

This is the case before and after updating to ios6. Updating to ios6 didnt fix the usb tethering problem on my mac pro. And ios6 still tethers fine via usb on my laptop running os 10.6.8 with itunes 10.6.3

Im going to try the kext replacement from the laptop to the mac pro now and see if I can restore the computers ability to see the iphone when plugged in via usb for internet tethering ...

This has really wasted my time and its annoying that apple havent admitted the problem exists or brought out a fix!

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 12:18 PM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2012 1:04 PM in response to Michael Lemass

replacing the newer kext file with one from a system running itunes 10.6.3 doesnt work even after matching permissions with those of the other files in the folder.

So Im going to download itunes 10.7 again and see if installing it helps but Im assuming its going to install the same usb kext file and things arent going to be fixed!

Oct 9, 2012 10:00 AM in response to Michael Lemass

Another case of bad quality control on the part of Apple...

Luckily I have several Macs, and tend to update only one at a time, an wait to see what they have messed up this time, they manage make quite a few headaches with EVERY update, despite what the appologists would have you believe.

Anyway, having compared two machines, (one updated the other not) the update of iTunes to 10.7 seems to have updated AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext to version 2.3.6 and in the process messed it up (of course, its not their fault).

You need to replace this kext with a good version or an earlier working version, repairing permissions did not work.

To do this, download KextUtility and install it, then drag the old working kext onto the KextUtility icon, it willreplace the broken version and fix any other permission issues in your S/L/E folder.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Kext-Utility.shtml

and the working kexts (if you can't find it on your time machine backup)...

Version 2.2.0 http://db.tt/Fahk9VBe

Version 2.3.6 http://db.tt/U674UcOV

Nice one Apple, thanks for wasting a few hours of my life, AGAIN.

Oct 10, 2012 11:27 AM in response to Hibernian56

I have now solved my tethering problem - I didnt need to use terminal.

I downloaded the kext utility, unzipped it and put the .app file into my applications folder, then I dragged the kext file from my laptop (AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext version 2.3.0)

The utility replaced the one that itunes 10.7 must have installed or modified into a backup folder and installs the one from my laptop where I was still on itunes 10.6.3 and it has the same permissions as the other files in that folder system/library/extensions

I rebooted and plugged my iphone in via the usb charger/data cable and immediatly the system put up a window stating:

A new interface has been detected

the "iphone USB" network interface has not been set up. To set up this interface use network preferences"

I then clicked the blue button NETWORK PREFERENCES

This showed the iphone in NOT CONNECTED status so I clicked on ASSIST me and just keep going, you will notice the red dot beside the iphone changing to orange (no IP address) then it changes to green and all is well!!

Thanks a million to Hibernian56 and whoever made kext-utility!!

No thanks to apple for not testing their software properly and wasting my time with hours of reading online!!!

Im on 10.6.8 on both machines

The problem with the kext file that was updated by itunes 10.7 was that the machine no longer detected the iphone thru the usb cable. Thanks to the other users on here its now fixed! ;-)

Mar 18, 2013 11:47 AM in response to Michael Lemass

On a Mac OS X v10.8.2 with iTunes 11.0.2, I solved mine by doing the following.

If you wish to try this before trying the kext utility, do the following:

1. Connect your iPhone via USB and make sure it is recognized by iTunes. If it is NOT, you need to fix this problem first - which unfortunately is not the subject of this post. If your iPhone does show up in iTunes, proceed as follows...

2. Go to System Preferences and open Network

3. Select the iPhone USB listed and remove it by clicking the minus ( - ) at the bottom

4. Click Show All at the top and open Sharing

5. If Internet Sharing and/or Bluetooth Sharing are enabled, disable (uncheck) them by clicking the check boxes

6. Disconnect the iPhone from the MAC

7. Shutdown the Mac

8. Hard reset the iPhone (depress the Home and Hold buttons until the screen goes blank)

9. Restart the iPhone (press the Hold button), and power up and login to the Mac

10. Make sure that tethering is enabled on your iPhone. Go to Settings -> Personal Hotspot and turn it on

10. on the Mac, Open System Preferences and open Network again

11. Connect the iPhone via USB and you should see the iPhone appear in the list. The light should go from red to orange and then Green

and your iphone should now be tethered with the blue banner at the top of the phone indicating as such

** All of this assumes that your carrier supports tethering and you have the appropriate service plan

Sep 16, 2014 10:30 AM in response to Michael Lemass

this solution worked for me... One note though. BOTH of my laptops are running 10.9.4 and iTunes 11.4 (18). My iPhone would tether via USB on my old laptop (which stays at home) but NOT my new laptop (which goes everywhere - hence the need for tethering) I was able to pull the "AppleUSBethernetHOst.Kext" file out of the "System/Library/Extensions" folder and use the Ktex utility to "install" the file. USB tethering now works again on my new laptop.

iphone 4 tethering not working via usb after itunes 10.7 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.