Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use the headphone jack as an audio input?

I have a new macbook pro 13". I want to use the headphone jack as an audio in device, but I do not have the option in sound preferences to choose it as an option for audio in.

HELP!!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 12:19 PM

16 replies

Jul 5, 2017 10:41 AM in response to snradio17

Hello,

This article states that if you have a headphone logo next to your port, it can be used as both an input and output. My 2012 MacBook Air allows for in and out on my one port. You just have to have a supported audio device for the settings to appear or become available.

OS X El Capitan: Adjust your computer’s sound input settings

Hope this helped,

Alan

Oct 3, 2016 10:06 AM in response to snradio17

Here's the REAL answer I got from a different site: For those Macs with a single shared input/output jack, the key to using a microphone is to have the correct plug. I'm guessing your're not seeing the input options because your microphone jack doesn't have three rings on it (Apple headsets with microphone have three rings)? If that's the case, you'll need to get a splitter cable so that the Mac realises that a microphone is available.

I verified this on my 13" late 2015 model by plugging in my iPhone headphones, in the sound settings it allows an external input.

How can I use the headphone jack as an audio input?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.