Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3.4.1 won't let me export or use a Vault - any ideas?

Since upgrading to 3.4.1 I can't export pictures (masters or versions) nor can I create a vault. There may be other things I can't do, but just haven't discovered!

In both cases, when I select the action, nothing happens at all. After a while, the cursor is 'mine' again and it's as if I hadn't done the action. For the vault, I get the message about creating one, then click Continue - then... nothing.

I haven't seen this reported here or elsewhere - anyone have an idea as to what the problem is?

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 12:48 PM

6 replies

Oct 1, 2012 1:39 AM in response to Alasdair Mackie1

Since upgrading to 3.4.1 I can't export pictures (masters or versions) nor can I create a vault. There may be other things I can't do, but just haven't discovered!

In both cases, when I select the action, nothing happens at all. After a while, the cursor is 'mine' again and it's as if I hadn't done the action. For the vault, I get the message about creating one, then click Continue - then... nothing.

I have not seen this error before. To check, if some setting in your User account is not consistent with the new version, try to export and to create a vault from a new user account - create one from the "System Preferences > Users & Groups" panel. Don't change any preferences when using the account.

If you can export from Aperture using the new account, check the following

Have you export presets defined? Then quit Aperture and remove the file

~/Library/Application Support/Aperture/Import Presets.plist from your user library. try again to export.

Have you export plug-ins installed? Check with the manufacturers website, if these plug-ins are compatible with Mt. Lion and install updated versions, if necessary. If no updated versions are available, deinstall them.

Your vault-problem: Is the vault on an external volume? How is it formatted? Is it a local volume or network voume? Have you checked the permissions? Can you create a vault on your system drive?

Do you use file-vault in your user account?

Be sure to make a Time machine backup of your aperture library, as long as you cannot create vaults.

Regards

Léonie

Oct 1, 2012 1:32 PM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie

The 'create new versions...' had become un-ticked when I upgraded, so that is sorted!

As for the vault & export problem, I created a new user, and imported an image, then was able to create a vault and also to export a version with no problem. So it's not Aperture - it must be a setting for my user, or something with my user account. When I log in as the new user, and I open the Library, it all works well, so it's SOMETHING in my normal user account.

I will try repairing permissions, and other utilities. Then I might reinstall Mac OS.

Thank you so much for your help so far. You are my 'star of the week'! 🙂

Oct 1, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Alasdair Mackie1

You are welcome. Glad to help. 😊

It is good to know, that everything works from a different user account.

it must be a setting for my user, or something with my user account.

or a problem with your current Aperture library.

I will try repairing permissions, and other utilities. Then I might reinstall Mac OS.

Repairing permissions and other utilities is o.k, but wait with reinstalling the OS.

Start with removing the preferences from your User Library I pointed to. To remove preferences and presets see: Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

Have you tried to create a new, empty library in your current account, export some images, try to export, create a vault?

If that should succeed, probably your current Aperture library is corrupted. Then try the Aperture Library First Tools:

Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library

Regards

Léonie

3.4.1 won't let me export or use a Vault - any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.