Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 4.0.3 - export problem - wrong compressor selected

Greetings all,

Have just run into a puzzling glitch when trying to export a movie direct from Motion.

When I click the Options button in the Export dialogue box, the compressor that is set in the Compressor dropdown of the Video section (under the Video/Audio tab) does not match the preset I selected in the Export box.

If I select the correct compressor in the dropdown, then click OK, the Export dialogue box now tells me I'm using a different compressor. If I then click Options again, the correct compressor is shown in the dropdown, but if I click Advanced, The compression type is now wrong! If I set the correct compression type in the Advanced (compression settings) box, then click OK, the Compressor reverts to the incorrect one again!

I appreciate this might sound very confusing, so I'll spell out some specific examples:

Compressor selected in the Compressor dropdown of the Video section under the Video/Audio tab: Video

Compression Type being used under Advanced (compression settings): Apple ProRes 4444

Compressor selected: Apple ProRes 4444

Compression Type used: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)

Compressor selected: Sorenson Video

Compression Type used: H.264

Compressor selected: H.264

Compression Type used: DVCPro HD 720p50

You get the picture. So, the Export Preset always matches the Compression Type used under Advanced but not the Compressor selected in Options.

This glitch has only just appeared in my setup, and I can't think of any obvious cause. I've tried trashing Prefs but no joy.

Any ideas? Many thanks!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 3:23 PM

7 replies

Oct 1, 2012 1:27 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ,

Probably best if I explain further with a couple of screen shots (I've blurred the background to highlight the issues).

In the first shot below, you can see that the selected preset in the Export dialogue box is Apple ProRes 4444 Movie, and it lists this as the compressor in the text details just below. However when Options is clicked, it lists the compressor as 'Video'. Upon clicking Advanced, the Compression type is shown as correct, Apple ProRes 4444.

If I export the file under these conditions I do indeed get a ProRes 4444 file.

User uploaded file

In the second shot, I have changed the Compressor in Export Options from Video to ProRes 4444 and you can see that the Compression type under Advanced has changed to ProRes 422 (HQ).

Upon hitting OK, you can see in the Export box that the selected preset now shows as 'customised' and the compressor listed underneath is ProRes 422 (HQ).

If I export the file under these conditions I get a ProRes 422 (HQ) file.

User uploaded file

Oct 2, 2012 2:00 PM in response to Dave Polyester

I haven't been able to repeat this problem in Motion 4 – using different source file formats and trying a variety of export presets. And no idea what would cause what your screen shots show.

But I would trash preferences to see what effect that has. If you don't have it already, I'd download Digital Rebellion's Preference Manager. (Takes the guesswork out of it.)

Good luck.

Russ

Motion 4.0.3 - export problem - wrong compressor selected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.