Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Radeon 9200 PCI Mac Edition not working properly

I recently purchased a Radeon 9200 PCI mac edition for my G3 B&W on ebay but it doesn't seem to like my B&W. It displays fine but refuses to load the driver and makes OS 9.2.2 freeze upon booting. I already have the latest drivers for it (january 2005 update). I haven't seen any similar issue around the net. Here is my B&W specs:

It has a G4 400mhz from the Yikes! running at 450MHz with voltage tweak help and 3 additinal fans attached to the heatsink (which is also original from the Yikes!).

1GB RAM

80GB + 40GB HDs

2x Voodoo2 8mb cards running in SLI.

ADB Keyboard + Mouse

removing the Voodoo2 did not fix this. I currently use a Radeon 7000 64MB PC flashed to Mac which works out of the box and share the same drivers. I don't have OS X installed. Please help, I don't know what to do anymore.

LFTHFY,

Filipe

PowerMac G3 B&W, Mac OS 9.2.x, G3 B&W w/ G4 Yikes

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 4:39 PM

10 replies

Sep 30, 2012 5:36 PM in response to filipetolhuizen

Try this driver update (again):

ATI OS9 RADEON Update.zip

If you have an older mac w/G4 CPU upgrade (beige G3 or older for instance), for years there's been reports of conflicts (boot hangs, etc.) with ATI OS 9.x extensions (graphics accelerator extension IIRC) and cache enablers. Renaming extensions (space or tilde first letter) to change load order may help. For OS 9.x users, install the 9200 OS 9 drivers before installing the card. Also there's been several problem reports from older macs w/PCI IDE cards or SCSI PCI cards and the 9200 PCI card,

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/graphics/mac_radeon_9200pci_tests.html

Sep 30, 2012 7:30 PM in response to japamac

Yes, I read it several times before, but I couldn't find a similar system there. My upgrade is not from 3rd parties so I don't have any enablers extensions loading on startup. The ATI driver always loads with a "X" on it. The mouse cursor moves but won't click anywhere. Just add a @ gmail or hotmail dot com to my profile name and you have my e-mails.

Nov 1, 2012 11:58 AM in response to filipetolhuizen

Have you disabled all non essential extensions, even for hardware you have installed (the voodoo cards as a example). This definitely sounds like a extension conflict. You just need to track down what extension is causing it

Btw have you tried different pci slots, if I'm not mistaken there are 33mhz pci slots and 66mhz pci slot just for video cards.

As a last resort have you tried a clean install of os9, having only installed the cards extension to see if it works then and add back each extension you had installed previously one at a time till it wont boot.

Nov 1, 2012 5:10 PM in response to Frank McHugh

Yes, I tried doing all of these, including removing the voodoo cards from the computer (I didn't install any of their extensions on boot, just when a speciffic game loads), placing the Radeon card on all slots and a clean install of a different version of Mac OS 9.2.2 all with no avail. Even renaming the ATI extension to load first than all other still won't make it load.

Jan 22, 2014 1:11 AM in response to filipetolhuizen

im trying to stick a pci radeon into a QS 2001 867mhz or a Sawtooth 450mhz AGP and im having the same problem.. and it seems the problem is becauset he card is PCI2.2 compliant.. wheras the computer is PCI2.1 compliant?? thats what one person suggested to me, but i know ive read of 9200 radeons working in B&W g3's...... is there a hack to make it work? i dont understand how a computer in 1998/99 can be pci2.2 complant when pci2.2 spec didnt come about untill jan1st 2001

Radeon 9200 PCI Mac Edition not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.