Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software on iPhone ... has expired and must be upgraded?

First of the month and I get the subject announcement...

I know it is a public holiday here in Australia but who gave the iPhone a holiday? (sic)

The iPhone can not itself find the activation server, iTunes says it has the latest version 6, and will not sync as it can not find which apps are applicable.

Could it be that I registered my iPhone 4 as a developer test device and upgradedto iOS Beta 3 at an earlier date?

I seem to remember a three month limit. Now that iOS 6 is released, surely it should upgrade itslef spontaneously.

How do I resolve this?

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 6:00 PM

If you last installed ios 6 beta 3, you have missed beta 4 and the GM, you have to go to the devoloper site at Developer.apple.com and physically download the GM to your phone. Betas expire and will cause your phone to be worthless. Furthermore if you are in the developer program and are going to download betas, you have to keep up with the new beta releases or you will render your phone as paper weight.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2012 6:00 PM in response to Adelaide Pete

If you last installed ios 6 beta 3, you have missed beta 4 and the GM, you have to go to the devoloper site at Developer.apple.com and physically download the GM to your phone. Betas expire and will cause your phone to be worthless. Furthermore if you are in the developer program and are going to download betas, you have to keep up with the new beta releases or you will render your phone as paper weight.

Sep 30, 2012 6:43 PM in response to chrisfromgastonia

Thanks... now downloading the release version ...6_10A403... Had to acknowledge a new license agreement too.

I had assumed that a formal release would auomatically supplant an obsolete beta.

After all, the iPhone 4 itself notified me about Beta 3 and I simply clicked to get that in.

Similarly with iTunes... The update logic could surely have sorted this?

I thought that it might have skipped Beta 4 because that needed a 4S or 5 to support its functionality.

Clearly, too many assumptions on my part. Do I need to update XCode too or will it advise me when obsolete?

Sep 30, 2012 7:25 PM in response to Adelaide Pete

Hi,
Today morning (1st Oct) my phone suddenly locked up & said activation required & when ever I tried activating it said could not activate because activation server is not available etc... I tried iTunes & it said the same thing "Software on iPhone has expired and need to be updated..."

I was running iOS6 b3 & when iOS6 cameout it didnt alert me for update so I thought its already done auto :-\ 😟

---

Pete were u able to get it done with the retail version (GM) iOS6 ? If so was there any data loss during the fixing ? because this is my personal phone & not just the one I use for dev. I hope u have to full backup & do it in the DFU mode is it ? Thanks for any update on this

Regards,

Sep 30, 2012 9:00 PM in response to mevan

No sorry... I too use my iPhone for personal purposes too.

I went to the

Xcode Organiser Alert:

This device (the iPhone) is expired and cannot be used with the iOS SDK.

Please install a newer version of the OS.

Note Mac OS X 10.8.2 says no updates available for the Mac

From Developer site, Developer.Apple.com, I downloaded iOS 6 Release

iPhone3,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw

Clicked that when download finished, selecting open with iTunes

iTunes then presents an alert:

The software on the iPhone "peter's iPhobe 4" has expired and must be updated to a new version.

iTunes cannot sync apps to the iPhone "Peter's iPhone 4" because the apps installed on the iPhone could not be determined.

on the iPhone screen it showed the connected USB image

but I had to hit back, unlock the screen, have it connect to my wi-fi,

presented: It may take a few minutes to activate your iPhone...

waited a few minutes while it tried to activate the iPhone spinning a graphic.

Finally it said:

your iPhone could not be activated

because the activation server cannot be reached.

Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a couple of minutes.

If this problem persists, contact Apple Support at apple.com./support

Problem does persist, even after restarting both MacMini and iPhone 4

Sep 30, 2012 9:15 PM in response to Adelaide Pete

This was what I did. I downloaded the IPSW after download you I connected my iPhone to the computer I opened iTunes and I went to the summary press (shifht \Windows\) (\Mac\ option). Select the folder where to save the IPSW, select the IPSW and press update. Wait to finish and it worked I not delete anything try it. Contact me if you don't understand what I resolve.

Sep 30, 2012 10:06 PM in response to MaycollR

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...

I misunderstood but get it now.

Having downloaded the .ipsw file, connected my iPhone to the mac, and opened iTunes.

I held down the shift, option and command key while pressing the check for updates button on the iTunes Summary tab.

This caused a finder type dialog to open where I could navigate to and select the previously downloaded ipsw file. The open button in that dialogue was then enabled so I could select it.

Bingo, suddenly it started doing what I was wanting it to, digesting the file and it started to update my iPhone.

Still not finished but it is now portraying a progress bar on the iPhone screen as it updates the device!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Oct 1, 2012 3:43 AM in response to Adelaide Pete

I'd just like to say that you all might be doing everything correctly even if it's not working. I had to try it twice, in the exact same way, before it worked.

I logged in to developer.apple.com, downloaded the IPSW file for my device (iPhone 4). I'm not even sure if it's a beta or GM, but I don't care, I just need the phone back online.

I opened iTunes and Option-clicked on "Restore". I choose my file and waited. The first time failed and ended up in recovery mode. I was pretty sure I was doing it right so I tried again. Now the software is installed and I'm waiting for the backup content to transfer.

Keep trying!

Oct 1, 2012 9:56 AM in response to Adelaide Pete

I think Apple did it pretty bad. I already knew that It was beta iOS 6, but we were part of the developers who help apple to check out if there is any debugs or so. Beta is mean testing purpose, i absolutely agree with that. but I couldn't believe that it suddenly set to experise without pre-caution or any alerts or any email notification. I think they have all the information to the number of users who download the Beta iOS6. Fortunately, I didn't lost anythings.

Oct 1, 2012 4:00 PM in response to tmaxim2

Hey tmaxim2, you do not provide enough information with your question...

Either declare your device models & firmware version numbers in the question or include that in your profile.

Were you too using a beta iOS 6 on your iDevice already?

Did you the latest release iOS 6 ipsw type file from developer.apple.com?

Did it complain in iTunes when you selected Check for Updates?

Were you holding any keys down when you did so?

Was your iDevice and the sim card unlocked when you tried?

Software on iPhone ... has expired and must be upgraded?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.