Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my contacts to show only mobile numbers while I am texting?

I believe that before I downloaded IOS 6 on my iPhone 4S, I had the option to show only mobile numbers when I typed in he person I want to text on messages. Is it possible to only show mobile numbers, and not fax, home, email, etc.? And is anyone else having this problem?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6, I think I used to have this option.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 6:25 PM

8 replies

Sep 28, 2017 11:10 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Wrong Answer! This "is" basic stuff which is why it is so frustrating. Whenever I try to edit a contact's phone number the first option that is provided in messages for the new phone number is "home fax." What percentage of people today do you think have a home fax machine??? 0.0000001% is my best estimate.

I know it's just a label but when returning to that particular contact to send a text or make a call it is important that the label is correct. Hard to imagine I have to explain this...

Sep 30, 2012 6:35 PM in response to Jdogny6

It seems to me that the messages app learns your preferences pretty well. So, for example, if a specific contact has home, fax, work, and mobile numbers but you only use the mobile number to text, then the others will fairly quickly drop way down the list so the next time you text that contact, they won't be in your way.

Dec 19, 2012 7:05 PM in response to Jdogny6

I never had this problem before and now I am being prompted to send to home tel numbers - I have missed a few and have been charged to send. This makes no sense - OBVIOUSLY the preference is to text to a MOBILE number, as designated in the contact.

Come on - this is BASIC STUFF. This is beneath Apple to not address it, and address it immediately.

Feb 12, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Jdogny6

This problem has been bugging me for a long time. I can't tell you how many times I have sent a message to a land based phone by mistake. As far as the message app learning, that's a bunch of hooey. This was a big step backward for the IOS team when they made the messaging app show any number other than a mobile number. Or at least give the user the option to show only mobile numbers. Come on guys and gals, let get this fixed!

Aug 9, 2013 4:57 PM in response to Jdogny6

Has anyone figured out how to ONLY show Mobile numbers when using the iPhone Text App? I am seeing email's, home numbers, work numbers, and Fax numbers. There is no reason for that. I can kind of understand Email's but HOME WORK & FAX should NOT show up. This is basic stuff here that should be done by Apple so I am very surprised it's not very simple to apply this setting.

I am looking for help PLEASE!!!

Aug 10, 2013 8:16 PM in response to vsanto73

vsanto73 wrote:

This is basic stuff here that should be done by Apple so I am very surprised it's not very simple to apply this setting.

Whether or not it's "basic" stuff is a matter of opinion. Regarless, it's not a feature of the iPhone at this time.

Submit your feedback requesting sucha a feature directly to Apple using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

How can I get my contacts to show only mobile numbers while I am texting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.