Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 Verizon proximity sensor is not working...any solution?

Since activating my new iphone 5 16gb black from Verizon, when i make a phone call, the screen does not go black. I have tried all attempts to turn off the bluetooth and turning on and off the "raise to speak" feature on Siri, but to no avail. Can anyone help me with troubleshooting this? thanks in advance.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 6:21 PM

7 replies

Sep 30, 2012 6:39 PM in response to djmarc127

Do you have a case or screen protector on the phone? It's possible that something is occluding the proximity sensor. Remove everything and try again. Have you tried resetting your device by pressing and holding the Home button and power button until the silver apple appears? It is possible that you have a bad sensor but I'd try those things first.

Best of luck.

And yes, the 16 gig does have that feature. All iPhones do.

Oct 1, 2012 8:44 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I dont have a case or screen protector on it. I just tried the home and power button combo to reset it, unfortunately that didn't solve my issue either. I have some type of lent or dust on my camera lens anyway, so I will be making a trip to the Apple store this week for that issue and hopefully they can troubleshoot this issue with the sensor as well.

Thanks so much for the advice though!

iphone 5 Verizon proximity sensor is not working...any solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.