4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 6:18 AM by Kirby Krieger
Malcolm Hollick Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I upgraded my iPhoto library to v9.4 and all seems to be ok. I then installed Aperture 3.4.1. Some of my photos I can edit ok in Aperture, but many of them cannot be edited even though taken with the same camera on the same day. Where the histogram normally comes up there is the message "iPhoto externally edited image". In the past I've done most of my editing in Photoshop Elements, with only a few edited in iPhoto. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the Aperture problem, however. Some  images that have been edited in PS can be edited in Aperture, and some that I haven't touched cannot be edited in Aperture. I'm pretty sure the same applies to iPhoto editing.

Any ideas on how to get around this problem?

Malcolm

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • 1. Re: Aperture 3.4.1 won't edit some images
    Malcolm Hollick Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just answered my own question with a little help from a related discussion that popped up when I posted this. The block on editing apparently applies to anything modified in iPhoto. But duplication to create a new Aperture version creates an editable image.

Thanks.

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Aperture 3.4.1 won't edit some images
    Thomas Emmerich Level 4 Level 4 (3,485 points)

I haven't figured out why some images do that and other don't. But a solution is to right click an offending image and choose Duplicate Version. You'll get a 2nd copy that you can edit. You can then choose to keep or delete the one that won't edit as you see fit.

• 3. Re: Aperture 3.4.1 won't edit some images
    gonnygump Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is crazy.  I have hudreds of images that I imported from iPhoto.  Many fail to inherit the proper orientation (i.e., that were rotated in iPhoto, but for some reason fail to show properly in Aperture).  Does this mean I have to manually duplicate everyone, rotate it, and then delete the original?

• 4. Re: Aperture 3.4.1 won't edit some images
    Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,935 points)

Many contributors don't read threads marked as "Solved".  You might want to start a new thread.  Provide details on your software versions and exactly what is happening and how it differs from what you expect.  Also provide links to theads that you think are apropos.