Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to make a iTunes account without a Credit Card?

iPod touch, iOS 6, 8G

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:31 PM

22 replies

Sep 6, 2013 7:28 AM in response to mssweene

I've just tried it by following the instructions on that page and I've been able to create a new account with the 'none' option and have downloaded a free app.

e.g. on my computer's iTunes I logged out of existing account, found a free app in the store and clicked on its free 'price' :

User uploaded file

I then clicked on 'create Apple id' on the popup :

User uploaded file

I agreed to the terms, filled in my details and on the payment's screen I got :

User uploaded file

I then got the verification email, clicked on it, logged into that new account, and downloaded a free app.

Are they the steps that you followed when creating the account ?

Jan 21, 2014 1:54 PM in response to King_Penguin

I can't enter credit card details because I don't have one. That's why I was using my wife's account - she has a credit card. But I can't use her Apple account on my phone because they don't "talk to each other." When I was syncing my iPhone to her account it comes up with all her details on my phone. I can't enter a credit card with someone else's name on it to set up the account, even temporarily.

Feb 10, 2015 5:54 AM in response to King_Penguin

the fact that i need to download some random free app sure seems like a hack to me. I understand the instructions are from apple, doesn't make them less of a hack. Why would a reasonable system need you to download a random free application just to be able to complete your registration without a credit card?? This is the issue that needs fixing, the credit card info should obviously only be needed if you are actually buying something, not for downloading free apps or getting free updates.

Cheers,

Petter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.