Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you install Windows 7 OEM on iMac using Parallels 8 Desktop for Mac

I am trying to install windows 7 on my iMac using Parallels 8 desktop for mac so i can use microsoft office 2010. i know there is a mac version that is the same, but my college professor wants me to use the windows version becaus they have diferrent xml coding. and trying to save money i got the oem version of windows 7. is there anything special that i need to do for installing windows 7 oem onto my imac using parallels?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:59 PM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2012 5:48 PM in response to Geo94

Geo94 wrote:

I am trying to install windows 7 on my iMac using Parallels 8 desktop for mac so i can use microsoft office 2010. i know there is a mac version that is the same, but my college professor wants me to use the windows version becaus they have diferrent xml coding.

Utter nonsense.

trying to save money i got the oem version of windows 7. is there anything special that i need to do for installing windows 7 oem onto my imac using parallels?

Just use the defaults. Windows 7 is very slow and really RAM-hungry. You will need 8 GB of RAM on your Mac because Windows 7 needs 2 GB all by itself. Even with that, it runs twice as slow as Windows XP.

If you've already spent money, there isn't much you can do at this point. I suggest using Apple Pages and, when you are ready to submit something to your professor, export it as a Word document and then re-save that Word document as a Word XML doc. I don't know why Pages doesn't export in docx format. It is built into the operating system. I even have a little utility that will save your clipboard directly to docx. You can download a fully-functional demo from: http://www.etresoft.com/pastefiler

There are many other utilities that can do the same, including Office 2011 itself. I prefer Pages because it supports modern OS X technologies and is much faster and easier to use than Word, but Pages only exports to DOC, not DOCX. Word is better if you are doing really sophisticated document, but it costs a fair amount money.

Disclaimer: I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my link.

How do you install Windows 7 OEM on iMac using Parallels 8 Desktop for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.